Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 14:21:53 GMT by
Dear Sir/Madam I understand that that I need to inform HMRC to strike off the company before filling the DS01. I need to write a letter to inform HMRC and submit the final account and tax return to HMRC. Is this mean that I can use the HMRC online account to prepare the final account and tax return, print it out and mail to HMRC (with letter)? Kind Regards
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 09:28:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Tina,
You should write to HMRC to confirm the date your company ceased trading.  The address to send this to is :- Corporation Tax Services, HM Revenue and Customs, BX9 1AX.  You can use HMRC's free Corporation Tax online filing service provided your company meets the criteria for using this service.  More information on who can use the service can be found at Check if you can use the HMRC Corporation Tax online filing service.You should note that this service does not allow you to prepare your accounts and you will require a balanced set of company accounts to the date of cessation to allow you to use this service.  Filing your company tax return online is mandatory and you cannot send it to HMRC by post.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 16:28:56 GMT by
Thank you very much for your reply. I would like to understand the sequence to inform HMRC for strike off the company. Is this mean that I write to inform HMRC, wait for the reply of HMRC (approval to file the account on line), then I file the account online or I write a letter and file the account at the same time (within one or two days). I am bit worried that wrong sequence may make a mistake. Please kindly help. Kind Regards
Posted Wed, 21 Feb 2024 10:59:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Tina,
Thank you for your query. If you haven’t made your application for strike off to Companies House yet you need to:
• file your return up to the date of cessation to HMRC
• send Companies House a DS01 form
• there is a fee of £10 to strike off a company
For more information regarding this, you should contact Companies House 0303 1234 500
The information you give to Companies House will automatically update onto Corporation Tax records. We will look at the case fully once you have applied to strike off the company, if you have an outstanding return and don’t file with HMRC up to the date the company ceased trading you may receive an objection to the strike off and delay your company being closed.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 05 Mar 2024 15:11:01 GMT by Alan Howie
I have struck off 9 dormant companies which have never traded. Do I need to submit a DS01 form to HMRC?
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 06:55:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Alan Howie,
Before applying to strike off a limited company you should notify HMRC of your plans to close it down.
However, if these companies have already been dissolved at Companies House they no longer exist as legal entities.
HMRC will be notifted by Companies House and the corporation tax records will be closed.
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 09:51:32 GMT by Alan Howie
Thank you. All of the companies were dormant and never traded. No tax returns were ever completed as the companies were dormant. I have submitted DS01 forms to apply to strike off each company. Do I need to submit a copy of the DS01 to HMCR at BX9 1AX?
Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 22:28:32 GMT by Jenny
Hi, I have applied for company striking off, do I still need to file Company Tax Return to HMRC and Companies house? How can I inform HMRC that this is my last filing as my company is closing?
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:38:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi Alan Howie,

No, there is no need to submit a copy of the DS01. HMRC will be automatically notified.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:11:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Jenny,
Please refer to guidance at: Corporation Tax: online filing at the end of a company’s life
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 25 Jun 2024 12:40:31 GMT by mohamed amine el barhdaoui
Hi, i am a non UK resident , I have already told hmrc that my company is dormant and ever traded , and now i am in the process to dissolve my company , I have already sent DS01 application . am i required to contact hmrc about that , because i can not reach them by phone
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2024 13:12:31 GMT by Cradgets Atanasovski
Hello, I have submitted Strike Off for a company I have registered last October. I am not UK resident and have never traded with the company. Do I need to inform formally HMRC and how am I doing that? Is calling by the phone for Outside UK enough for that? Thanks
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2024 14:32:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

If the company is dormant for Corporation Tax, and you have told us, you are not required to file company tax returns for the dormant periods. 

Please refer to guidance available on our website at

Closing a limited company   and

Strike off your limited company from the Companies Register

Yes, please do notify HMRC of the intention to to strike off and follow the process of submitting the DS01 to Companies House. 

Thank you .

Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2024 15:01:37 GMT by katiepressick
Hi I have a company with nothing outstanding HMRC debts. I have phoned every department at HMRC to clarify there is nothing outstanding. Companies House state I must speak to HMRC to ask them to remove the objection but no one at HMRC can see a reason for the objection and won't do anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this company has been dormant for years and just needs to be struck off.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 08:22:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi katiepressick,
I suggest you contact:
CT Services,
H M Revenue & Customs,
BX9 1AX,
or call the CT helpline on 0300 200 3410, and quote your UTR number where will look at your case fully.  
If the company has been dormant for a number of years, we may need to update your company accouting periods to a dormancy status, but to do this we will need you to provide us with further information. 
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2024 10:08:26 GMT by Faizan
Hi, I have Ltd company which i registered in January 2024. I have not received UTR yet. Now I want to close my company so before closing what should I do ? Should I registered and setup hmrc online account, submit tax return and then apply for closing with companies house ? Even if I registered now online account will not allow me to submit final tax return because company accounting year not finished yet. I am confused please guide me. Thanks
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2024 13:57:33 GMT by messamilyas Ali
Hi, I have read that after striking off a company I should tell HMRC that I have stopped employing people. But my company was dormant and never traded. Should I still need to tell HMRC about that?
Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 08:38:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

Thank you for your query.

You can request a copy of your company’s UTR number online by going to Find your UTR number   .

You will need this number to use HMRC’s online services and update your company’s tax record.

If your company has been dormant since incorporation, you can tell us by going to

Tell HMRC your company is dormant for Corporation Tax  .

If your company has traded since incorporation, or if HMRC has asked you to file a tax return,

please contact us before you apply to strike off your company .

Thank you .
Posted Wed, 04 Sep 2024 10:57:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi messamilyas,
If your company is already recorded as dormant with HMRC there is not need to inform CT Services of the intention to strike off as we will be notified by Companies House.
If the company registered for PAYE you should contact them to advise the company never traded if you haven't already done so.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.