Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2023 16:09:18 GMT by
I am trying to Register as an Agent with HMRC. I would have posted this on the Agents forum...but you need to be an agent to do that. I have written to HMRC to register but have not had anything back yet. I can't fin any contact details in order to find out anything about progress. I have taken on a portfolio of clients at short notice for reasons that I won't go in to, but I now have no idea when I will be able to process or submit anything with HMRC. Anyone know of how to contact them on this?? Seems strange in this day and age that you need to write to them to register. Posted on the growing business thread as this is currently stopping me from growing my business.
Posted Thu, 24 Aug 2023 13:43:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Unfortunately without knowing which area of business you have registered as an agent, we cannot provide any comprehensive advice .

We suggest contacting the area of business you have registered with directly, and ask for an update on the progress of your application.

Contact HMRC

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 10:15:05 GMT by Libby Benvenuto
We have been writing to HMRC since 2021 regarding our Agent Registration. We have completed the same forms over and over again with no luck. We are now in a position where the Agent Codes we were using (that belonged to the company where we purchased the goodwill of a business) have been removed and our original Agent application going back to November 2021 still hasn't been confirmed. There isn't an Agent Service telephone number to call. We have raised an official complaint with HMRC, still nothing. We have no access to file VAT and PAYE submissions for our clients and are going round in circles trying to get this resolved. After calling again last week, we had a call scheduled for yesterday for a 'technician' to call us to try and resolve our online access. No one called. We are an Accounts practice that are now unable to file anything which will cause untold issues for our clients and potentially irreconcilable damage.
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 11:07:31 GMT by
The reply from HMRC Admin 32 doesn't cover the point I was trying to make. I have not got as far in the process as being registered as an agent. As far I can tell the process involves writing to HMRC with proof of money laundering supervision and other details - and then waiting for them to reply with an Agent Code before I can add services. It doesn't seem possible to register as an agent online. Having duly written my letter I have had no response and there does not seem to be any way of contacting HMRC to see what is going on. As with Libby, I am now in limbo where I can't file for clients and I have no idea when I will be able to.
Posted Tue, 12 Sep 2023 12:10:28 GMT by Libby Benvenuto
This has got to be THE most frustrating process. I've sent the information more than once with evidence of our ACCA regulated body that includes the AML cover. If you try calling them (literally begging) for help, they just say you have to write in and then cut off the call when they don't want to help you any further! Imagine if we ran businesses in this way?
Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:12:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Libby Benvenuto,
If you have not received a reply regarding your complaint you will need to contact our Income Tax helpline so that a referral can be sent regarding this.
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you, 

Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:22:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Borderman,
If you have written to the Central Agent Authorisation Team and it has been more than 4 weeks and you haven't received a reply, you will need to resend your request.
Central Agent Authorisation Team
Thank you

Posted Thu, 19 Oct 2023 13:05:40 GMT by Karen Evans
Please can someone help. Somebody has contacted me to ask for my help. They are trying to register as an agent with HMRC but first they need to register for supervision for AML using the online service. However, a question they are asked on the AML application is "are they registered as an agent! But they cannot register as an agent until they are registered for AML. Hopefully you can see the problem? Should they say No on the AML registration and the application will then proceed to be reviewed (obviously when fee is paid). Appreciate if someone could advise. Numerous attempts have been made to contact HMRC via telephone but no-one has been able to help?
Posted Mon, 30 Oct 2023 17:05:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi Karen Evans
The business is not currently registered as an agent and therefore they can say no they are not an agent on the AML application form, this can be changed at a later date via the business Government Gateway account.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.