Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 20 Oct 2023 12:44:57 GMT by
I have lived in my current home for 10 years. I am considering moving out of my home and renting out my house for the next 5 years. I will not be purchasing a second home. I am trying to understand the capital gain tax liability if I were to sell my house 5 years after renting it out. Would CGT be applicable to one third of the gain since first purchasing the house i.e 5 years out of 15? Also to confirm, whilst living in my house I have made some significant improvements to the home including a back-to-brick remodel of the kitchen extension with a new roof, windows, and an upgraded kitchen, Can this £35k investment be offset against inheritance tax? Many thanks, 
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 15:56:45 GMT by
To confirm, for the second part of the question, I meant can the improvements to the property, be offset against Captial Gains Tax. not inheritance tax
Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 07:11:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi edlanwarne,
On the basis of the info provided, you would be covered by Private Residence Relief for the first 10 years of ownership, but potentially liable to Capital Gains Tax in relation to the period when the property is rented out.  
Tax when you sell your home   
 Sorry, we are unable to answer Inheritance Tax (IHT) queries on this forum, but you may wish to direct your question to our colleagues on the IHT helpline Tel:  0300 123 1072.
Inheritance Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 11:52:05 GMT by
Thank you Admin 25 for coming back to me. Sorry, my error I didn't mean IHT that was a typo. My question was, can the cost of significant home improvements whilst I've been living at the property be offset against Capital Gains Tax as an allowable expense? Many thanks,
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 15:20:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi edlanwarne,
Yes, these can be classed as expenses for improvement costs to reduce your capital gain.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 06:55:27 GMT by Danielle Mulderrig
Hi I am in a similar situation to above. However my house has gone up £90k in value whilst living in with only small home improvements over the last 7 years. How do I evidence this gain as just a main residence before we rent out the property? To avoid paying CGT on monies made prior to any rental? Thanks
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2024 11:04:18 GMT by Clive Smaldon
Not HMRC...simple answer is you dont, the gain on the property is time apportioned on sale regardless of the periods it arose in.
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2024 13:12:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Danielle,
This will only be taken into account when you come to actually sell the property as its the total gain that is taken into account, relief is then given for the period you lived in the property as well as any capital improvements.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.