Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2024 06:46:44 GMT by William Tyrrell
I have been trying to declare and pay capital gains tax but I am stuck in a loop; due to my account being set up for self assessment from when I operated as a sole trader, the website assumes I am an organisation and insists upon my providing a trust reference number. I cannot set up a new government gateway as it just links me back to my old one. There seems to be no way to get the website to process my request as personal rather than business. I have seen some other people with similar problems but none of them have had a reply with any solution. Even my accountant is stumped. Please advise.
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:04:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi

Please use the link withinReport and pay your Capital Gains Tax

Thank you
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:26:01 GMT by lou D
I have been going around this loop this week too. There is another thread on it later down where someone has posted great advice. Bottom line is that you have to create a new government gateway account. So you have a new account that is separate. .....it doesn't make sense to me. BUT once you have your new account set up it works very easily. I acne only assume that HMRC's systems can't talk to each other so this is the work around. and it is confusing lots of people. don't bother ringing the helpline as it takes an hour to get through and they does know what to do either and you get the advice given above - which doesn't help. will see if I can find the advice in the other thread.
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2024 15:28:39 GMT by lou D
this was the answer in the other thread - that I followed and it worked.... I figured this out...If you look at the Gov Gateway ID you have been trying to use it says 'Business Account' at the top, despite you being able to access all your different taxes on the one ID, it is a Business Account. THE FIX: Create a new Government Gateway ID for your personal tax account. 1. Go to https://www.gov.uk/report-and-pay-your-capital-gains-tax/if-you-sold-a-property-in-the-uk-on-or-after-6-april-2020 2. Click on 'Sign In or Create an account' (you want to create a new account - a personal account) 3. Underneath 'New users of Government Gateway' click on 'Create sign-in details' 4. Enter your email address and then follow the instructions to verify your identity 5. Confirms your identity checks are passed and will give you the UK Property Account number!!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.