Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 23 Dec 2023 08:57:46 GMT by macho_squirrel
Hello, I had some shares while living in the EU, and I moved in the UK during the summer. Some have some capital gains, and some have some losses (for whole period, ie buying date was some years back). What should I report for taxes here? The difference between the day I entered in the UK and day I sold? Regards, 
Posted Fri, 05 Jan 2024 11:17:12 GMT by macho_squirrel
Any updates on this? Regards, MQ
Posted Fri, 05 Jan 2024 18:11:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi macho_squirrel,
The gain will be based on the difference between the pruchase price and the sale price. if the sale occured after you came to the UK you will report
both the gain and the loss in your tax return.
Thank you.
Posted Sat, 06 Jan 2024 02:22:40 GMT by stu1davy Davy
I have the same query with regard to investments in offshore funds (in USD ) purchased while overseas and non-resident which are registered as reporting funds. If I make losses upon selling these funds will that loss be an allowable capital loss ? Or if I retain the funds and they increase in value will the original cost be used as the basis for CGT calculation ? Thank you 

Name removed admin .
Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:58:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi stu1davy Davy

Whether you were UK resident at the time of acquistion, is not relevant for tax purposes.  
If you are UK resident when the investment is disposed of, either a gain or a loss will occur.  
If your gain exceeds the annual exempt allowance, then it is reported either using the CGT real time transaction service and/or in a self assessment tax return.  
If you incur a loss, this is either reported in the self assessment tax return or in writing, along with a supporting calculation.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.