Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2024 17:11:55 GMT by Richard Haydon
I sold a rental property in August 2023 and paid the Capital Gains Tax due in October 2023. I am now filling in my paper Short Tax Return and believe I need to include the amount of Capital Gains Tax I had paid but there is no where to enter it on the Return. There is a box to check on the Tax Return should I need to fill in SA108 Capital Gains Summary pages but the Short Tax Return Notes are very unclear. I have looked at form SA108 and the accompanying notes say I will also need to include all the original Capital Gains Tax calculations. If I do have to complete form SA108, do I send it all with my Tax Return? I am very confused.
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2024 13:02:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi

You should tick box 7.4 and complete SA108 (Self Assessment: Capital gains summary (SA108)) for the section relating to the disposal of residential property.  
You should also include a copy of your calculation.  You can use the same one you submitted using online capital gains service.

Thank you
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2024 10:34:59 GMT by SFSF
Questions on form SA108 Residential property Box 6, should put the net gain including the PRR? Box 11, mine was a non-UK residential property, should I put the total gain or the net gain including the PRR?
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2024 12:11:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,
Boxes 3 to 13 are for Residential property (and carried interest) regardless of whether the property is located in the UK or elsewhere.  
The capital gains summary notes advise that box 6 is for ""Gains in the year, before losses. Put the total of any gains made on the disposals of interests in residential property (and any carried interest gains) in box 6. This figure will be the gain minus any relief, claims or elections. This figure is the total gains, excluding any losses, for the year so must include any gains included within the box 9, box 11 and box 13 amounts.
For disposals reported on a Capital Gains Tax UK Property Disposal return that qualify for Business Asset Disposal Relief, see the exception at box 9.
The guidance for box 11 advises ""Total gains or losses on non-UK residential property or carried interest reported on Real Time Transaction returns If you’ve made returns using the ‘real time’ Capital Gains Tax service, put the overall gain or loss in box 11. If the result for the year was a loss, put a minus sign in the shaded box in front of your figure. These individual gains and losses will also need to be included within the box 6, box 7 and box 13 entries as necessary. Enter the reference numbers of any ‘real time’ Capital Gains Tax submissions made in box 54".
Capital Gains Summary notes
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.