Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 22:03:09 GMT by
Hi, I have some RSUs that have vested and they are in a brokerage account. I would like to use my wife's 6k (FY 23-24) CGT allowance by gifting part of the shares. What are the mechanics for this? Does my partner need to open a brokerage account and I transfer the shares? Or Can I dispose the shares are send the money to her account. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 13 Feb 2024 12:57:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi

The gift would need to be done prior to any sale and you would need to notify HMRC so that you are then not classed as the owner of the shares should you sell them within your own account.

Thank you
Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 09:27:03 GMT by G T
What are the mechanics for notifying HMRC? How to record gifting of shares and notifying. Just notifying is enough or one has to wait for some confirmation from HMRC, as any communication from HMRC takes very long time it might not be feasible in all cases to wait for a acknowledgement. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 16:27:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi G T,
There are no capital gains liabilites when transferring assets between spouses and civil partners.
You do not need to notify HMRC of the transfer of the asset.
 Please have a look at the guidance here:
Capital Gains Tax on personal possessions
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 17:29:54 GMT by G T
I understand there are no liabilities but in the earlier reply, "The gift would need to be done prior to any sale and you would need to notify HMRC so that you are then not classed as the owner of the shares should you sell them within your own account." How can one notify HMRC?
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:37:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

You would send a letter detailing what you have gifted and when to:

HMRC PAYE & Self Assessment
BX9 1AS

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.