Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:13:19 GMT by
Hi, where do you show capital gains losses from previous years when you have no capital gains for this year on the SA108. Last year the tax advisor said to show this as additional information on SA100 as the Capital gains form was just for the current year. But I found your post and I am not sure they advised us correctly. Thank you in advance for your advice.
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 10:01:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Rustie54,
There are two way in which capital gains losses can be declared to HMRC.  
By submitting / amending an indate tax return or in writing to
H.M. Revenue and Customs Self Assessment
BX9 1AS.  
You can claim losses for up to 4 previous tax years.  
Have a look at HS227 Losses (2023)

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 22:16:32 GMT by Joce Chow
Hi If I didn't report the capital loss for the year 2019-2020 (because of no capital gains in that year), can I amend the tax return form for the year 2022-2023 and report the previous losses there? I understand that the losses can be claimed backwards for 4 years. Does that means that the deadline to use the 2019-2020 losses is for the 2023-2024 tax return? Thanks a lot.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:12:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

The 4 years only refers to HMRC being notified that they exist. the loss itself can be carried forward indefinately.

You are now to late to make a claim for these from 2019 to 2020.

Capital Gains Tax: what you pay it on, rates and allowances

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.