Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2024 07:41:30 GMT by gerhardp
From earlier posts in this forum, I understood that any Capital Gains on selling property abroad must be reported in the online Self-Assessment Tax Return after the end of the tax year (i.e. for property sold in 2024/25 by 31 January 2026). I now read elsewhere on the Internet that "The deadlines for reporting and paying Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on overseas property disposals have been tightened. Taxpayers are now required to report any gain and pay the due tax within 60 days of the completion of the sale. " Is this correct, and if so could you please provide a link to this rule on the HMRC website. If this is the case, then please advise on how such gains should be reported (online, paper etc.) Many thanks
Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 15:03:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi gerhardp,
The 60 day deadline is for UK property only and applies whether you live in the UK or not.
Foreign property is still within the tax return due dates.
Guidance here:
Report and pay your Capital Gains Tax
Thank you. 

Posted Sun, 05 May 2024 08:44:13 GMT by Trev S.
Hi. I have returned to the UK after living in NZ for 25 years. After a separation settlement selling my property in NZ. I with to transfer all my funds to a UK Bank and purchase a house. There is no CGT in NZ . Am I liable to pay CGT in the UK ?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 14:02:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Trev S.

As long as you were not tax resident in the UK in the tax year in which you disposed of your NZ assets, there will be no capital gains tax liability.  
There will be no tax implications for you bringing in capital to the UK.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.