Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 30 May 2023 17:09:37 GMT by
Hi, I need to report capital gains tax for a rental property which I sold 2 weeks ago. It is not through a business. I don’t believe it’s a trust or estate. I’ve simply sold a property which i owned in addition to my main home, When I try to report online via my gateway ID (using the link on https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax-uk-property/start/report-pay-capital-gains-tax-uk-property), it states “ Create a Capital Gains Tax on UK property account. Do you want to report a capital gain for a trust or estate?”. If I click “no”, it states: “You’ve tried to sign in as an organisation. Trusts are the only organisations that can use this service to report Capital Gains Tax on UK property. You have told us you are not a trust so you’ll need to file a Company Tax Return to report any taxable gains on UK property”. If I click “yes”, it states: “Does the trust or estate have a Trust Registration Number? It is sent to the person who registers the trust with the Trust Registration Service and is 15 characters. For example, ‘XC TVN 999 000 0000’”. I’m stuck on what to do. I’ve just tried to call HMRC but they’ve accidentally cut me off after 60 minutes wait and now the offices are closed. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Posted Thu, 01 Jun 2023 13:23:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Rachel,
You need to create a new account for Capital Gains Tax as its not linked to your Self Assessment.
You will need to register as an individual using the following guidance here: 
Report and pay your Capital Gains Tax
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 18 Sep 2023 08:52:08 GMT by
Hi @ Rachel, did you ever find a way to resolve this? I have been trying for days and now HMRC say they can't help me! Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 10 Oct 2023 20:19:00 GMT by
HI, I am in exactly the same position. Can someone please advise me. I really don't fancy a lengthy phone call to HMRC tomorrow.I have a personal and business login for HMRC and can see no way of adding a CGT account to either
Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:02:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi elywat,

For the reporting of capital gains for UK residential property, you need to create a new account.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 17:39:20 GMT by GrahamP
Hello HMRC Admin 32 and HMRC Admin 25, I have had exactly the same problem, not being able to set up reporting of Capital gains Tax for an individual, only seeing options regarding Estates or Trust. When you say "create a new account" is that a new Government Gateway? I find the information online is confusing. Thanks, Graham
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 12:33:43 GMT by
Hello, having the same problem here, please can we get some help from HMRC Admin Logging in with a Government Gateway account that already gives access to business and personal tax information does not allow the user to register for a CGT on UK Property Account number. You get a message that says 'You've tried to sign in as an organisation' Does the user need to create a new Government Gateway account (therefore having two gov gateways accounts) to obtain a UK Property Account number? If not, please can you advise how a person with a Government Gateway account that holds both business and personal tax information is meant to obtain a CGT on UK Property Account number. Thanks, 
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 15:24:21 GMT by
I figured this out...If you look at the Gov Gateway ID you have been trying to use it says 'Business Account' at the top, despite you being able to access all your different taxes on the one ID, it is a Business Account. THE FIX: Create a new Government Gateway ID for your personal tax account. 1. Go to https://www.gov.uk/report-and-pay-your-capital-gains-tax/if-you-sold-a-property-in-the-uk-on-or-after-6-april-2020 2. Click on 'Sign In or Create an account' (you want to create a new account - a personal account) 3. Underneath 'New users of Government Gateway' click on 'Create sign-in details' 4. Enter your email address and then follow the instructions to verify your identity 5. Confirms your identity checks are passed and will give you the UK Property Account number!!
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 16:12:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi GrahamP
You need to create a new capital gains account that is not linked to your self assessment account - Report and pay your Capital Gains Tax
Posted Mon, 13 Nov 2023 14:06:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi

Debbie Bates  .

If you have a business goverment gateway user ID and password, then you cannot use this to create a capital gains account for an individual. 

You will need to create a new government gateway user ID and password for an individual account and use this to
creat a capital gains account for an individual. 

See :

HMRC online services: sign in or set up an account  .

Thank you .
Posted Sat, 25 Nov 2023 12:03:41 GMT by
I have had the same problem, and followed the advice above to create a new account. I have paid the required sum, and used the reference given which is Xcgt*********. It is shown on my bank account, but i can find no record of this payment with HMRC. When I log on the my newly created CGT account, it makes me log back on the my original account. Any ideas please? 

Name removed admin 
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 17:25:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
You can only have one residential property capital gains account.  
Within it, you can create new transactions to report and pay residential property tax.  
You will need to log into the capital gains account.  
The CGT account reference number can be found from the taxpayers dashboard within the online service andwill displat the total left to pay, so that you can click on the make payment button should you have more tax to pay.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:18:57 GMT by Shona Forster
Hi I also have a business government gateway user ID and password and am trying to file a CGT return for selling a second property I owned personally. But when I set up an ID and password for a personal account as advised above, the system tells me there's already a gateway account in place which I need to sign in with. A customer service person then told me on the phone that you can no longer have two gateway accounts. Therefore I have no idea now to proceed to make my CGT return. Any ideas anyone? I've spent hours trying to solve this! The HMRC adviser didn't have an answer. Many thanks Shona
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 14:34:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You can see guidance here:

Thank you
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2024 12:18:16 GMT by Jamie Ashdown
Shona - log in using the new gateway id you created - ignore the message about having one already - I then just carried on to search for submitting CGT and it allowed me to create a CGT account - have now submitted my CGT return, thankfully! I was going around in circles for a long time! Decided to ignore the message about having an existing Gateway, as that was always sending me to the Trust/Business route....

You must be signed in to post in this forum.