Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 18 Oct 2023 19:05:34 GMT by Su S
Hi, I recently left my prescription glasses at the hotel on holiday and hotel is kindly returning it for me. But I've been charged by the UPS the customs fee £77.60 (Gov Charge 65.40 + Brokerage Charges 12.20). The original value of the glasses are £276. (£229.99 + VAT £46.01) Why do I have to pay customs charges on my own belonging and it is originated from the U.K? It's not even present. Also, UK VAT is paid already when I bought the glasses at optician and now another VAT is added again on original VAT inclusive amount, at the customs again. It's becoming compounding VAT. Is it correct? Thanks, Su
Posted Thu, 19 Oct 2023 10:11:40 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Firstly all goods entering the UK will be subject to import duties and import VAT based on their declared value. Unless the goods are really low value or a gift there is no difference whatsoever between a private import or something being imported for sale. UK goods being returned can come in duty free as returned goods but only if the carrier is made aware they are returned and also that they make the declaration to a special returns procedure. There usually needs to be some proof that you owned the goods in the UK. You should be able to reclaim the duties by completing a C285 reclaim form which is available on the .gov website.
Posted Thu, 19 Oct 2023 22:05:04 GMT by Su S
Yes I’ve made aware of the courier that I’m returning my own belonging which originated from the U.K. and I’ve sent them the original invoice that shows VAT from the U.K. optician. But they just ignored it. Thank you so much for explaining this clearly. This is very helpful, especially for referring to the reclaim form. Appreciate it.
Posted Fri, 27 Oct 2023 14:21:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Su S,
Customer can pay and reclaim the customs chargers using form C285.
How to apply for a repayment of import duty and VAT if you've overpaid (C285)
Thank you.

Posted Fri, 27 Oct 2023 16:00:20 GMT by Su S
Thank you. UPS said they’ll request the refund. I’m still waiting a reply from them. Thanks for your help.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.