Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:38:47 GMT by Wai Nang Chin
I am living in my owned apartment. I plan to purchase another residential apartment for living. My parent will live in my previous apartment 1-2 years temporarily until they purchase their new home. The previous apartment will be sold later. Is there any tax require? Please kindly have your advice. Thanks.
Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 14:20:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

You may have to pay capital gains tax on the disposal of the property.  You will be able to claim private residence relief for the period that the property was your main residence.  
Have a look at HS283 Private Residence Relief (2023)
for more information.  
There is a capital gains calculator at Tax when you sell property
Once you purchase you second property, you should write to
H.M. Revenue and Customs
Pay As You Earn
BX9 1AS,
to confirm which property will be your main residence for tax purposes. Please see Tax when you sell your home

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.