Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 26 Aug 2023 17:59:37 GMT by
Please could you tell me how long it takes to update a National insurance record in respect of payment of voluntary contributions. I paid mine 12 weeks ago and was told it would take 8 weeks but nothing has changed on my record. Thank you
Posted Wed, 06 Sep 2023 15:10:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Thecakeshelf,

There has been a spike of voluntary contributions received and the timescale for payments to be allocated was 8-10 weeks at its peak.  
If you are still waiting for payment to be allocated beyond this timescale then they can call our NI Helpline and an advisor can get the money allocated while on the call.

Thank you.

Posted Fri, 08 Sep 2023 10:21:04 GMT by
I posted a similar question below without any reply being received. I paid mine at the end of April, over 4 months ago. As it is near impossible to get through on the phone to the helpline I guess that's why many of us are asking the questions on here. It took long enough to get the 18 digit number to pay in the first place, that was a feat in itself, but now the money is not being allocated.
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2024 13:23:19 GMT by Kathleen Moore
I have a similar question. Since my application to pay voluntary class 2 contributions was accepted I've paid 7 years' worth to top up gaps in my NI record. The first payment was made in January 2024 but still nothing has shown up on my on-line NI record (it's now August, ie 7 months have passed). How long does it take for payments to show up, and how to make sure the payments get allocated to the right years? (I'd like first to top up the years that have an April 2025 cut-off deadline). Thank you
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 08:31:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Kathleen,
Sorry that your payment of voluntary National Insurance contributions has not been allocated to your Personal Tax Account yet.  It can take up to 8 weeks from making your payment to it being recorded on your Personal Tax Account so may I ask that you call our National Insurance Helpline on 0300 200 3500 (from the UK) or +44 191 2037010 (from overseas) and they will be able to make sure that we have received your payment and arrange for it to be allocated.  Please have details of your payment handy when you call just in case they are needed.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.