Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2024 10:30:05 GMT by leonia
Hi. My pension age will be January 2035, I am self employed and rent out a residential property, earn annual profits of less than £6,725, May I start pay my National contribution by voluntary class 3 contributions in 2025/26 tax year to qualify to get state pension after my retirement ? Please give me some advice, thank you very much.
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 12:59:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
If you rent out properties you may be eligible to pay Class 2 National insurance voluntary. Please have a read of NIM74250 - NIM74250 - Class 2 National Insurance contributions: special cases: property and investment income
There is a tier system where if you are Tier 1 you are not entitled to pay class 2 NICs, Tier 2- you are Entitled to pay Class 2 and Tier 3-you are liable to pay class 2 and class 4 National Insurance. 
If you believe you are tier 2 or 3 then you can contact us by webchat or phone to register for class 2 national insurance and we will issue you out a voluntary class 2 bill every tax year.
If you are tier one, you can still pay voluntary but it would have to be Class 3 National Insurance.
If you want to set up a class 3 Direct Debit or annual bill you can either contact us by webchat or phone. Or alternatively you can fill in form CA5603 see Apply to pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance contributions.
Please find our Contact details below.
Number  0300 200 3500
Text Relay  18001 0300 200 3500 (Text Relay)
Overseas  +44 191 203 7010
Open  Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm
Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Web Address
National Insurance: detailed information
Thank you.

Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2024 09:57:23 GMT by leonia
Hi . thank you for your advice of the above. As my pension age will be Jan 2035 , May I know is it a must for me to obtain the NI number and start to pay the voluntary national insurance in Jan 2025 ?? thank you very much.
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2024 09:06:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi leonia,
To obtain the minimum UK State Pension you need at least 10 qualifying tax years of National Insurance contributions.
The more qualifying tax years that you have the greater your UK State Pension entitlement will be.
If you are overseas and wish to pay voluntary contributions then details are given in our leaflet NI38 ‘Social Security Abroad’ which you may obtain here:
Social Security abroad: NI38
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.