Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 20 May 2023 15:12:59 GMT by
Hello, I requested an A1 form from HMRC a few weeks ago and I am still waiting for it. I actually made 4 requests for an A1 form from which 1 of them has been rejected because I was asking for an A1 form for 24 months. So I submitted another request a few days ago. Can you please let me know what´s happening with this A1 form that I am waiting for? Submission reference B3I4-4N6F-KGH7 Many thanks, Kind regards
Posted Fri, 26 May 2023 10:59:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Jony,

Unfortunately I am unable to check your personal records.
You can contact the National Insurance enquiry helpline to check your personal records.
Their contact number is 0300 200 2500, lines are open from 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday. 
I can confirm that the timescale for the area who will process your application is 13 weeks, they
are currently working on applications received on 20/02/2023.

Thank you

Posted Sun, 18 Jun 2023 19:17:03 GMT by
Don’t hold your breath Jony, I applied in September and still haven’t had it. Every time I call I get told it’s “in process”?
Posted Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:48:31 GMT by
Hi All, Perhaps someone can assist me and check my application too? I need the certification so filled up the CA3822 form 3 months ago and since then no one came back to me. The 0300 200 2500 landline is just constantly repeat "currently no one is available take your call"... Also what I do not understand that on the confirmation email says: "We aim to write to you within 15 working days. We will confirm whether the employee will continue to be liable to pay UK National Insurance contributions while working abroad. "  Thank you
Posted Tue, 22 Aug 2023 16:54:43 GMT by
Peterk2016, even if you do get through, the staff, nice as they are, usually can't do anything other than offer to send a message to the relevant team (God knows I've been through that a fair few times). I finally got my A1 in July having started the process in September! In February I laughed a formal complaint... I don't know if that helped but it did seem to galvanise some action. I made it clear I was complaining about the process and not the staff trying to handle it. I don't know your circumstances, but I needed an A1 because I'm a director of a company in an EU country. I kept the authorities there appraised of the delays and kept providing them with evidence that I had applied and was chasing it. They were losing their patience a bit by the end though! Good luck!
Posted Wed, 30 Aug 2023 09:53:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi peterk2016,

A1 applications that have been sent in online are currently taking around 15 weeks.  
Without your National Insurance number we are unable to confirm if your certificate has been issued, you should call the National Insurance helpline 03000 200 3500 for further information.

Thank you.

Posted Sun, 19 Nov 2023 15:29:59 GMT by
Hello, I have applied for A1 in early September 2023, still waiting to hear for an update. Any updated on the timescales will be helpful. Thank you
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2023 01:10:29 GMT by Shirmel Duggins
I think that Mondays and Tuesdays are so busy with everyone trying to get through, that it becomes frustrating. For me, I find that the best time to call HMRC is after 3 pm Wednesday thru Friday.
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 08:08:26 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Khushboo,

If you submitted your application online, the timescale is 12 weeks, the department who process these applications are currently working on applications received on 27 August 2023.

If you sent your application by post, the timescale is 44 weeks, the department is currently working on applications received on 9 January 2023.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 05 Dec 2023 22:36:32 GMT by
John has lived and worked in the UK since 1987 and has made regular NI contributions. He has now resigned from his current job in the UK (as of 31/12/23) and is relocating to Greece where he will not work and will be a Greek tax resident. While planning his relocation, he discovered that since the 80s he had been inadvertently registered with the Greek social security system but never made any contributions (as he was not living or working in Greece). He now owes a significant amount of money to the Greek social security system which can be written off if John produces official proof that he has been making NI contributions in the UK throughout these years. The Greek authorities have asked for an A1 form but it is unclear to John whether this form is the appropriate one for this occasion. Furthermore, it appears that the HMRC takes many months to deal with such requests. Can an HMRC administrator provide some guidance as to what John should do to deal with this massively distressing situation?
Posted Fri, 08 Dec 2023 14:43:47 GMT by
Hello. I would like an update on when I should expect an outcome from my A1 application. I have called the phone number (0300 200 2500) numerous times at various times of the week and it always says that nobody is available to take my call. A response with a rough timescale would be most appreciated.

[Personal information removed - Admin]
Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 10:24:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi HamishF1631,
Sorry that you’re experiencing problems in getting through to our National Insurance Helpline.  
The lines open at 8am and are usually quieter in the early morning if you would like to speak with an Adviser.
However, I’ve checked the timescales for the Team that process A1’s and can advise that they are dealing with queries received from customers on 21 February 2023 at the moment.  
So if your request was sent later than that then there will be about a 44 week wait from them receiving your request to providing you with a reply.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 11:37:07 GMT by
Please are you able to give approximate timescale for HMRC issuing a form A1 (self employed, work in a single EU country) if an online application was made 20 October 2023? And an approximate timescale for processing a paper double tax form from an overseas authority, where certification is requested from HMRC? (Received by HMRC 20 October 2023) Thank you.
Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 10:35:20 GMT by
how can I get a copy of my A1? I've loged in and see its comleted but ive never recieved a copy
Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 19:35:01 GMT by olliejgooding
Hi, My employer has applied for CA3821 so that I can work from Spain. I've also made the application for CA3822, a few days later. I wanted to check a few things- very grateful for any answers: 1. Assuming that the CA3821 is processed a few days before my CA3822, they should be able to see my company is eligible when processing my application? will this work?2 2. My timescales are tight- is there any way of paying to expedite processing? 3. Will my application be rejected if I ask for 24 months, as suggested by someone above? I thought 24 months was the limit, so I put that. If not, please could you let me know the limit? 4. If I submit another application form now, with a lower number of months, will that invalidate my first application? 5. If my first application is rejected, would I require ANOTHER 12 weeks for a re-submitted application to be processed? 6. Are there any plans in place to expedite the process overall and get through the backlog? Many many thanks in advance for any help.
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:03:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi decanus,
Our International Team is currently dealing with queries received on 10 October 2023.  
So it a full reply should be sent to you about 12 weeks after we received your application.
If you do not receive it after this time then you may wish to call our National Insurance Helpline for an update.  
Their telephone number is 0300 200 3500 (from the UK) or +44 191 2037010 (from overseas).
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:17:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi joseph willis,
If you could call the National Insurance Helpline they will be able to arrange for a copy of your A1 to be sent to you.  
Their telephone number is 0300 200 3500 (from the UK) or +44 191 2037010 (from overseas).
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 18 Jan 2024 09:12:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi pjb12345,
An individual’s circumstances may dictate the necessary documents that another country require as evidence.
Please contact the international caseworker helpline for advice and the forms available that will apply.
Form CA8421 may apply for confirmation of residence but please ensure this by calling the helpline.
If you have access to a Personal tax account: sign in or set up, you can also use the webchat services and submit the relevant form required with faster timescales.
Number - 0300 200 3500
Overseas - +44 191 203 7010
Open - Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm, Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 23 Jan 2024 11:30:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi olliejgooding,

All of our post and online applications are worked in strict date receipt order. We cannot accept payment to speed up the process.

You can apply up to 24 months for a posting, if your posting is longer than this then you would have to ask for the foreign authority to agree to remain UK insured.

If you resubmit another application for a different period then the original application will be cancelled and certificate will be issued for the new time period.

Our caseworkers are working on the backlog and we are unable to give any update on the timescales you have mentioned.

Thank you.

Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 03:40:37 GMT by
An A1 form for nomad visa Sir/Madam I urgently request your assistance. My husband and I are stuck between your department and FO over the apostil of the A1 form so that we can achieve a nomad visa in SpaiFO usually very Fast , require a ‘wet signature’ on the A1 form from HMRC, But HMRC only Provide a stamped signature. We are going around in circles and it is causing health problems for us both, in terms of the stress but also because our medication remains in Spain and we are unable to return due To this crazy lack of communication between 2 Government departments. We have contacted FO offices who have said that a solicitor can notorise the HMRC A1 form as legitimate, But the a1 forms from HMRC don’t even havr have individual references on them and solicitors are not happy To sign the forms.. this to be honest, beggars belief. Please, could someone in authority in YOUR department have a discussion with someone in authority in the FO and Come to a realistic and helpful solution? 1) either FO team have to accept a stamped signature and HMRC to put an individual reference on each A1 form and make the form black and white, since the hard copy is coloured blue. 2) or HMRC needs to provide a wet signature .. and reference number for each A1 form Is It so difficult for a sensible solution to be agreed and implemented?.. I have provided the solutions, why can’t someone just say .. yes, let’s do that.. and do it!? Is it unreasonable to expect two government departments to communicate and sort the issue which currently creates more contacts to the helpline and a current backlog of 15 weeks ? Please have the good grace and courtesy to reply — and when doing so please let it be from the responsible person able to make Such changes in process, or provide the names of Those responsible within your department and counterpart in Legalisation dept in FO by return.. time people with the responsibility and associated remuneration be held accountable. I Will write The same to Legalisation/FO and in other forums and media, to highlight the Exasperating failures and communication breakdowns.. working in sylos doesn’t work.. I look Forward to hearing from you.. let’s see if it can be by return, since we have already been held up and given the run around for 3 months (we have Had To have Our marriage cert re apostiled because it is only valid for 3 months) Yours in exasperation Sian Edwards Sent from my iPhone

You must be signed in to post in this forum.