Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2024 00:55:32 GMT by Steven Wong
I have seen reference to this in several posts but I haven't come across a definative answer yet. Simply put, I have been asked to pay my NI contributions (and yes, I have submitted a CF83 form and received a shortfall table) into an account named, "HMRC NIC RECEIPTS". However, both HSBC and First Direct do not have this account name on their list of payees. Both banks have "HMRC NICO" with the same sort code and bank account numbers (08-32-20 12001004) as the "HMRC NIC RECEIPTS" account I have been asked to pay into. 1. Can I make my Class 2 payments into the HMRC NICO account? 2. Why doesn't HMRC clarify with the banks that they should also have HMRC NIC RECEIPTS as an account name on their payee list so that there is no confusion over this? Alternatively, why not simply direct people to pay into HMRC NICO given that the account number is exactly the same? Thank You. Steven
Posted Mon, 08 Apr 2024 01:15:50 GMT by Steven Wong
Dear HMRC, Could you please clarify - as per my query above - whether I can use the HMRC NICO account (08-32-20 12001004) to pay my Class 2 payments into? This differs from the HMRC NIC RECEIPTS account name (although the account number is the same as that of HMRC NICO) I was asked to pay into but my bank does not list HMRC NIC RECEIPTS as a payee (but it does for HMRC NICO). Many thanks Steven
Posted Mon, 08 Apr 2024 05:10:37 GMT by shafiqahmad
The user is unsure if they can pay Class 2 National Insurance (NI) contributions to "HMRC NICO" account since their bank doesn't recognize it. They have been told to pay to "HMRC NIC RECEIPTS" but both seem to be the same account. They want to know if it's okay to pay to "HMRC NICO" and why the confusion exists.
Posted Mon, 08 Apr 2024 14:53:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

HMRC have multiple accounts which denotes what the payment is for.

I can confirm that both account names are correct, you can use either account name with those bank details with the reference as per the payment information in your shortfall letter you do not need to call us for the 18digit reference number.

If your bank refuse to send the payment please use the HMRC NICO account name.  


Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 07:16:37 GMT by Steven Wong
Dear HMRC, Thank you for clarifying that...much appreciated! Best Wishes Steven
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 08:25:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi Steven Wong,
If your bank holds the account under a different name but the sort code and account number are the same then yes you can use that account.  It was previously known as ‘HMRC NICO’ before changing name to ‘HMRC NIC RECEIPTS’
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.