Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 10:25:20 GMT by
I recently had to send my national insurance card to the dvla however it got lost in the post. Do I need to report this as I'm think that if I can use it to prove my identity if someone else gets hold of my card they could do the same to commit fraud. Thanks
Posted Mon, 19 Feb 2024 11:39:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi

A National Insurance number (NINO) or a NINO Card are not proof of identity, nor proof that someone has the right to work in the UK so a third party should not be able to use your card for fraudulent purposes with any reputable organisation.  

However  you may wish to contact the NI helpline on 0300 200 3500. Lines are open 8am – 6pm Monday to Friday.  They will be able to check your NI record for anything suspicious such as a recent change of address or a claim to benefit which you have not made.

Thank you

Posted Sun, 19 May 2024 10:04:40 GMT by Sumitha Subasharan
I lost my NI card but i dont know if it can be used for fraud
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2024 23:48:48 GMT by KirstyHowie1 Howie
I recently lost my national.insuramce number can this be canceled so someone else.doesnt use it and a new one sent out to.me ?
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2024 11:55:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your National Insurance number.
I can assure you there are measures in place to ensure your National Insurance account is secure.
However please call the National Insurance enquiries helpline so we can run a few checks on your account to help us decide the best action to take.
National Insurance Enquiries helpline
Number
0300 200 3500
Text Relay
18001 0300 200 3500 (Text Relay)
Overseas
+44 191 203 7010
Open
Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm
Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Web Address
National Insurance: detailed information
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.