Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2024 11:19:58 GMT by franceuk76
Hi everyone, I would like to pay voluntary NICs for the periods that I lived and worked overseas (I currently live abroad, but I plan to return to the UK in the next couple of years). I already completed CF83 form and received a reply from HMRC, which listed about 10 years of shortfall that I can pay to top up my balance (a separate number to pay was provided for each year). What I am not clear about is whether I need to pay all of it in one go, or if I can pay year by year?
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2024 16:06:44 GMT by Gary C
Have you checked with DWP Future Pension Centre that paying all years will benefit your pension and, if you are planning to return to the UK, thus, presumably, paying mandatory NI, do you need to fill those gaps at all?
Posted Fri, 02 Aug 2024 15:25:48 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

As you have received your confirmation of overseas voluntary contributions to pay, it is your own choice to either pay all the voluntary contributions at once, or in stages/years. Please be aware of the dates the payment amounts are payable at the rate quoted for each tax year on your letter. The amount would increase for late payments past the dates quoted. The reference number to use for the overseas payments at class 2 and 3 will be the same as in the link here:

Pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.