Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 30 Apr 2023 21:42:02 GMT by
During the coronavirus lockdown (and other periods before this) I was unemployed, not receiving any income and not claiming any benefits. I lived at home with parents. Am I able to retrospectively claim for gaps in my national insurance record?
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 10:19:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi capybara5,

If you have claimed benefit for the period you were unemployed you may be awarded credits for that period.
HMRC do not award benefit credits and you should contact the Department for Works and Pensions to confirm if you are due any credits.
More information can be found at:
Benefits - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Benefits calculators - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 12 Jan 2024 08:54:11 GMT by StanStan Stev
I've recently discovered that I have missed out on NI credits because I did not claim child benefit when my first child was born in March 2021 (my partner's income meant the high income child benefit tax would apply and we would not keep a single penny of the child benefit so there seemed zero point claiming child benefit). I've just discovered the press were reporting that the Government announced in April it would enable eligible parents who have not claimed child benefit to apply for National Insurance credits retrospectively. On the Martin Lewis show broadcast on Wednesday 10 Jan 2024, Jeremy Hunt, the Chancellor was asked about the unfairness of the child benefit tax. He said it was under review but also said and I quote "we've made it possible for people to claim the national insurance pension credits retrospectively"(see 25 mins into the show). My question is this - how do I claim these pension credits retrospectively.
Posted Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:38:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
You will need to contact the child benefit office you can do this by using the online application  or in writing.
There is useful information on general enquiries Child Benefit
More information can be found at:
High Income Child Benefit Charge: Restart your Child Benefit payments
Thankyou.
Posted Thu, 01 Feb 2024 15:38:32 GMT by StanStan Stev
Hi Thank you HMRC Admin 8 for your reply which unfortunately is not very helpful. Perhaps if I might just add a bit more detail to my circumstances I did in fact submit a Child Benefit Claim form in October 2022 electing at the same time not to receive any payment of Child Benefit (CB). The Child Benefit Office (CBO) subsequently confirmed I was ‘entitled’ to child benefit (and in consequence NI credits) starting in July 2022 rather than from the month of my daughter’s birth in March 2021. The CBO refuses to back date a claim for CB any more than 3 months from the date of receipt of the CB claim form. I am therefore being denied NI credits for the period March 2021 to July 2022 simply because I failed to submit, within 3 months of March 2021, the CB claim form to claim a benefit I know I would not be entitled to keep due to the High-Income Child Benefit Charge. How a benefit can ever be described as an ‘entitlement” when it cannot be kept is quite beyond me! On Wednesday 10 January 2024, Jeremy Hunt, the Chancellor said and I quote "we've made it possible for people to claim the national insurance pension credits retrospectively. He didn’t say “..we are going to make it possible to claim national insurance pension credits retrospectively. So my question remains – specifically how do I claim these pension credits retrospectively now? None of links you included in your reply answer this question or provide the means to do so. That said I would draw you attention to the following – https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/tax-simplification-update-january-2024/tax-simplification-update-january-2024 Under the heading Amending the parents’ National Insurance Credit (Child Benefit) it reads “…As announced on 27 April 2023, the government will legislate to introduce a route for people to apply for National Insurance Credits for parents and carers for tax years where they have not claimed Child Benefit, to ensure that people do not miss out on their State Pension entitlement. The credit will add qualifying years of National Insurance where eligible which will support future State Pension eligibility. Individuals will be able to claim this Credit from April 2026. The eligibility for the Credit will be closely based on Child Benefit eligibility criteria. Transitional arrangements will ensure those affected since 2013 are still able to claim. Going forward, applications will be available for 6 years following the relevant tax year. The government will bring forward secondary legislation as soon as possible…” I have 2 questions which flow from this 1. Will I qualify to claim NI Credits for March 21 to July 2022etrospectively, and 2. When can I do this?
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2024 14:53:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi StanStan Stev,
People will be able to claim NI credits from April 2026, as that is over 2 years away I would expect further details of how to claim near the time.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 03 Apr 2024 13:39:10 GMT by Mo Wu
Hello, my friend was employed before but stopped working due to redundancy and to have a baby after getting married. She and her husband have been on a very low income, and they have struggled ever since I've known them because they have never claimed benefits. Their children are now 13 and 16, but the family continues to struggle. Is there a way she can claim back some of the benefits they missed out on.
Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 14:55:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 2 Response
Hi,

Please contact the DWP for advice.

You may also wish to contact Citizens Advice.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 15:52:10 GMT by StanStan Stev
If one of the benefits not claimed was child benefit wouldn’t that be one for HMRC to clarify?
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2024 20:07:12 GMT by Janick Jenkins
Hi HMRC Admin If the reclaiming of retrospective NI credits is only available April 26 and no details are yet available. If I were to pay towards my missing NI credits, for instance for the Tax Year 2014 - 2015 which is required before April 25 (latest time frame for me to pay up for any missing gaps) would I be entitled to a refund of those amounts. I am just mindful that I don't want to run the risk that things change, the retrospective application is no longer available and I can no longer top up my NI credits. Am I safe to say that even though we would have needed to pay back our child benefits due to our income, I would still be entitled under this new rule to claim retrospective NI credits. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2024 15:41:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
We are unable to advise at present on the retrospective NI credits until the date you become available to apply for them.
The current voluntary national insurance tax years are extended from the standard 6 years until April 2025.
If you request a refund of National insurance currently, you are required to write in with the full reasons.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.