Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2024 08:43:16 GMT by Kwaku Frimpong-Ansah
In July 2023, I paid voluntary NI contributions to plug holes in my NI record. Around September/October 2023 I received a letter from PT Operations saying it has been decided that I should have paid for Class 2 instead of Class 3 contributions - I had been abroad. I needed to answer some further questions which I did in November 2023. In January 2024 I was sent a letter requesting my bank details for a refund. I replied in Jan 2024 with the bank information. I have heard nothing more since then. Has anyone got experience of requesting/getting such a refund and if so how did this unfold for you? Anybody got an idea how long it takes for the refund to be made? I have just started pension and I need to make some important financial decisions where knowledge of approximately when the refund will take place would be really useful.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2024 10:10:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
The timescales for your refund to be processed are different depending on which department will be processing your request.
If you are paying for a period when you were/are living in the EU, that department is currently processing requests received on 29/05/2023, and you
can expect a reply by 13/02/2025.
If you are paying for a period when you were/are living in a country outside of the EU, that department is currently processing requests received on
22/10/2023, and you can expect a reply by 19/09/2024.
These reply dates are estimated and may change.
Thank you.

Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2024 12:14:24 GMT by Kwaku Frimpong-Ansah
Hi HMRC Admin 20, Thanks very much for your reply - it is good to have an approximate time for the refund. Since I was living in the EU, I'll plan based on receiving this around mid February 2025 then. Incidentally, Am I right in assuming that the processing of the department for EU stuff simply has more cases to work on, or are they typically more complicated to deal with? Thanks v. much.
Posted Fri, 05 Jul 2024 14:01:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Our International Teams are receiving larger amounts of queries then normal so this is causing a delay to the service that they provide and the work is rather complex to deal with. However, we can assure you that you will not be penalised because of our delays.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 05 Jul 2024 15:22:42 GMT by Kwaku Frimpong-Ansah
Thanks for the explanation of why the non-EU cases have less delay than the EU-related cases, I don't understand the last clause of the reply though - "we can assure you that you will not be penalised because of our delays". Could there have been any scenario related to this, where a penalty was possible? Thanks again.
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2024 09:00:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Kwaku Frimpong-Ansah,
Sometimes an individual may have an additional query about something that may be time limited so we assure them that we will use the rates in force when we received their query when we reply regardless of how long it takes us to reply.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2024 23:23:27 GMT by Brighton2023
I have a similar situation. I was working overseas from 2005 until 2023 when I returned to the UK. I then called HMRC last year to explain my situation and was told to pay Class 3 contributions for the missing years overseas. I’ve done that and my NI record shows I am up to date and expected to receive the full State Pension of approximately £11500 per annum. However, I believe that I should have been advised to pay Class 2 contributions not Class 3 as I worked in Singapore for 18 years until I returned in 2023. Prior to that, I lived and worked in the UK from 1984 to 2005. My questions: 1. I believe I overpaid and was told to complete the CF83 form online. Is that correct? 2. If I only have to pay the Class 2 amounts (which are much lower than Class 3 I’ve already paid), will this mean my final State Pension is lower due to lower Class 2 contributions? Many thanks

You must be signed in to post in this forum.