Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 08:34:12 GMT by jfung
May I know if it is allowed to apply for an NI number using a PO box or a commercial mail forwarding service address? This is in the case of new immigrants without fixed address (e.g., staying in a hotel).
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 09:36:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

Apply for a National Insurance number: How to apply - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) 

Thank you .
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 09:43:28 GMT by jfung
Hello, My question is relating to the address I provide when applying for an NI number, which the NI letter will be sent to. Can my address be a PO box or a commercial mail forwarding service address? Or does it have to be a physical/home address? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 09:51:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Please refer to the details in the link.
HMRC do not deal with applications but there is contact details for questions on the link provided previously.
Posted Fri, 09 Aug 2024 11:24:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi jfung.
Yes, it is possible to use a correspondence address in the National Insurance Number (NINO) process if your home address is not safe to receive NINO correspondence.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 09 Aug 2024 12:20:59 GMT by jfung
Thank you for your response Admin 25. May I know if this applies also to Self Assessment and sole trader registration? Can I use a correspondence address instead of residential address?
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 12:36:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
You should provide your residential address, but if you would like HMRC to send post to a different address you can ask for a correspondence address to be used.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.