Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 14 Sep 2023 13:22:21 GMT by Kim Gould
I wish to fill gaps in my NI contributions to top up my pension having lived in Turkey for over 30 years. For Class 3 contributions do I have to fill in a form?
Posted Fri, 15 Sep 2023 14:02:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Information about paying voluntary National Insurance contributions whilst overseas may be found in our leaflet NI38 ‘Social Security Abroad’ which you may find via the link below.

Social Security abroad: NI38

If you wish to pay voluntary contributions after reading the leaflet then please complete and return the CF83 application form which you will find at the same web page as the NI38.

Before applying to pay voluntary contributions you may wish to check your current and future entitlement to a British State Pension. More details are given at:

Application for a State Pension forecast

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 17 Sep 2023 16:51:39 GMT by
I have 27 full years NI contributions and am in receipt of a reduced pension. I sent a registered letter which was received on 21 June 23 querying if I should simply complete an N138 form and send a cheque or my bank details for the shortfall of eight years. I haven't heard anything so I am wondering if I should just go ahead and complete the form and send it.
Posted Sun, 17 Sep 2023 16:55:39 GMT by
I meant to state 'complete form CF83' not form N138
Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 14:07:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Bridie McLoughlin,

I note that you have advised that you are over British State Pension Age and have completed a CF83 application form to apply to pay some voluntary National Insurance contributions.
When we received your CF83 application form we should have redirected it to The Pension Service as they deal with people over pension age who would like to pay voluntary contributions.  You may with to call The Pension Service to ask about paying the contributions – their telephone number is + 44 191 2187777.

Thank you.

Posted Thu, 21 Sep 2023 18:43:36 GMT by
My post doesn't say that I have completed form CF83. My post says 'that I sent a registered letter which was received on 21 June 23 querying if I should simply complete a form N138 (it should have said form CF83) and send a cheque or my bank details for the shortfall of eight years. I haven't heard anything so I am wondering if I should just go ahead and complete the form and send it'. That is still my question
Posted Wed, 27 Sep 2023 09:42:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Bridie McLoughlin,

Please accept our apologies for the misunderstanding.
As you are over state pension age, you do not need to complete the CF83.
You should contact the Pension Service on +44 191 2187777 (lines are open Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm) and ask them to check if you can make any payments to improve your pension. They will advise you what action you need to take.
Please do not send any payments until you have received confirmation from the Pension Service, that paying voluntary National Insurance contributions will improve your pension.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 09:42:26 GMT by
Thank you for your reply. As I hadn't heard from you, I completed form CF83 as I understand that NIC contributions from 2006 to 2016 can be made in order to increase one's pension. I have sent this form to the relevant address and I do hope they will pass it to the correct department dealing with it. I had previously written to the pension department via registered post and they confirmed they had received it on 21 June 2023. The Pension Service number may as well not exist as it is completely impossible to get through to them and it's also very expensive to be left hanging on and then be cut off particularly if you are phoning from overseas. I have tried different times, different days but the same thing happens every time
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 10:00:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Bridie McLoughlin,
If you’d like to call our National Insurance Helpline on 0300 200 3500 they will be able to ensure that your CF83 application form has been received and that they have all the details they need to process it.
They’ll be able to give you an estimate as to when you could expect a reply.
Thank you.  

Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2024 10:38:21 GMT by Goandeas McLoughlin
Still no reply to my letter received by the pension department on 21 June 2023 in relation to paying additional class 3 national insurance contributions. When I check 'when can I expect to receive a reply' it keeps getting shifted from month to month. Originally, I was supposed to get a reply in February 2024, then to March 2024 and now to June 2024. When is this matter going to be resolved? Thank you
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 09:11:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Goandeas,
You can check the reply timescales from HMRC via the online tool - Check when you can expect a reply from HMRC - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
The timescales are applicable at the time and are subject to change.
Alternatively, you can also call the Centre for Non residents on the number below.
Number - 0300 200 3500
Overseas - 0044 191 203 7010
Open - Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Thank you.

Posted Sun, 02 Jun 2024 19:08:29 GMT by Goandeas McLoughlin
I have finally received a reply from PT Operations, North East England stating that 'The last year which you can pay voluntary National Insurance contributions for is 2021 to 2022 & we've sent your enquiry to the International Pension Centre and asked them to send you information about your pension!. I don't understand this as I had received pension age at 66 in 2021 so I don't understand the part about paying voluntary National insurance contributions for 2021 to 2022. As I have 27 full years NIC made, I could make up the shortfall of 8 years by paying class 3 NIC and I would then have 35 years paid and get a full pension. Can you please explain
Posted Fri, 07 Jun 2024 08:40:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Goandeas,
As you are over UK State Pension Age, The Pension Service will be able to provide you with a full reply.  
They will advise you of your current and future entitlement to a UK State Pension and detail any shortfalls that you may pay to improve your entitlement. 
If you would like to speak with The Pension Service their number is in the following link:- International Pension Centre.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.