Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 21 Oct 2023 15:08:47 GMT by
Hi, I have been contributing into the UK National insurance since 2010 but I also made contributions to the Portuguese Social Security between 2005-2010 whilst I was living/working there. I understand those contributions are taken in account once I apply for my UK state pension. My question is if there is a way to get a UK State Pension Forecast taking in account those contributions abroad? I have no idea of its impact and therefore I can't properly assess if I should pay for extra voluntary payments to cover some years with gaps. Thank you
Posted Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:38:50 GMT by Gary C
While your EU record will be taken into account as you are covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, the only time it would have an impact on your UK pension is if you have fewer than 10 UK years. Otherwise the answer will always be mathematically identical. As you appear to have more than 10 UK years (or should be able to achieve that) there is nothing to worry about. Your UK years will, in due course, be considered in Portugal and may help you get past any minimum years' requirement there too...
Posted Tue, 24 Oct 2023 05:35:26 GMT by
Thank you
Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 09:07:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi viriato,

At the time you reach UK State Pension Age and make your claim to pension, The Pension Service will contact the Portuguese Authorities to check any pension entitlement that you may have with them.  
You may wish to speak with Future Pension Centre to check your current and future entitlement to a British State Pension.  
Their telephone number is +44 191 2183600.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.