Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 12 Dec 2023 18:14:03 GMT by
I paid 5 years of voluntary class 3 NI contributions at the end of July 2023 through bank transfer and they still have not been updated on my NI records. This has led to a reduced pension payment. I understood there was a delay of around 8 weeks but 16 weeks seems ridiculous. I've tried speaking to HMRC and each time been cut off or told they would put me on hold whilst they sought advice and then cut me off. Who can I write to to sort this out as DWP blame HMRC and vice versa.
Posted Wed, 13 Dec 2023 17:19:34 GMT by
I'm in a similar position. I paid £9,066.20 by cheque on January 3 for Class 3 contributions, which was cashed on January 24, but my NI record has still not been updated despite me chasing it up. A reasonable delay is understandable, but to delay this long with no communication is a disgrace. The only feedback I have received was to a comment on this forum, which suggested I check their automated service to see when I should expect to hear back. It gave me a date three months in the past. I pointed that out, but have heard nothing further. Short of going to my MP or the press I don't know what to do. Has my money vanished?
Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 12:21:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi brad57,
If you could call the National Insurance Helpline on 0300 200 3500 they will arrange for your payment to be allocated urgently as you have advised that you are over pension age.  
When you speak with them would you let them know that you are over pension age please.  
There is a delay in us dealing with allocations of voluntary contributions but we try to help people when they are coming up to pension age or if a benefit could be affected.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 12:32:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi 9KMissingNITopUp,
Sorry for the delay in dealing with your payment of voluntary National Insurance contributions, this should have been dealt with before now.  
If you could call our National Insurance Helpline on 0300 200 3500 they will be able to help you.
The telephone lines open at 8am so if you could call as soon after this time as possible you should get through without too much delay.
If you have tried to call the National Insurance Helpline without success, then you may wish to make a complaint to HM Revenue & Customs and our Complaints Team with deal with this for you.  Details of how to do this can be found at:  Complain about HMRC
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 08 Feb 2024 05:09:27 GMT by Brummie Slade
What are the current processing times for non eu residents after receiving an application to pay voluntary national insurance contributions? I have made an application which included proof of employment and called later that year and was advised it had been received by hmrc around March 2023 and was waiting to be processed but am still waiting for a response. Thanks
Posted Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:07:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Brummie Slade,
Our International Team are currently dealing with queries received in February 2023 so you can expect a reply shortly.  
If you do not receive a reply shortly then you may wish to call our National Insurance Helpline on 0300 200 3500 (from the UK) or +44 191 2037010 (from overseas)
and they will be able to help you further.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.