Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2024 23:16:32 GMT by Graeme
I have received the details of the amount of volntary contributions required to cover years I've not been working in the UK and am ready to pay. I can't see any reference to an 18 digit code to use however. Where can I get it? Could I simply use my NI number, which s unique to me? Thanks, Graeme.
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2024 14:17:01 GMT by Laura Mason
I have the same issue. I received a pension forecast and also a statement letting me know which shortfall years I have but no reference number. Previously I had been told to use NI number followed by IC and last name and initial but that does not work. I do see a number at the bottom of my letter but I don’t know if that’s correct and when you go to pay that’s the only thing you have to input so if it’s wrong I could lose my money.
Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 09:40:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Laura Mason,
As it would appear that you are wishing to pay overseas voluntary contributions, we can confirm that the correct reference number to use is: National Insurance Number,
Followed by IC,
Then your surname and initial.
This would mean that your payment goes to our International Office to allocate to your National Insurance account.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:49:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Graeme,
If you have received confirmation that you are able to pay voluntary national insurance from abroad, please see the overseas payments section in the link. It applies for class 2 if you have been approved also.
Pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance
You can pay to either bank account depending on your payment method with your overseas reference.
Any problems please call the centre for non-residents:
Number - 0300 200 3500
Overseas - 0044 191 203 7010
Open - Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2024 13:36:20 GMT by Martin Mayhew
I have a similar question. I have confirmation from HMRC and Future Pensions of how many and which specific missing years of Class 2 NICs to make from overseas (I am in EU since 2003). However, I want pay from my UK bank account in GBP. I assume the same details apply: sort code - 08 32 20 account number - 12001004 account name - HMRC NIC Receipts So can I use my NI number +IC, surname and initial or do I need the 18-digit code as the reference? Thanks
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2024 08:37:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Martin Mayhew,
To  confirm that as you wish to pay some overseas voluntary National Insurance contributions then the 18 Digit Number that you would use for your bank transfer is your National Insurance Number, followed by IC and then your surname and initial (if possible).  
Thank you. 

Posted Sun, 04 Aug 2024 19:11:06 GMT by Annie G
Hello I sent a Form CF83 and received a reply re which years I could make voluntary NI payments and how much each year would cost. It did not say if they are class 2 or 3 but looking at the figures it appears there is a mixture. I would like to pay all the lower (classe 2) value years. It mentioned a link to make payments but the page told me I needed an 18 digit code which has not been provided. I tried to make one up using my NInumberCINameIntial but it was not accepted. Can I make a bank transfer ? If I make a bank transfer, how do I specify which years I wish the funds to contribute towards? Thank you
Posted Mon, 05 Aug 2024 16:20:00 GMT by Antanas1963
Annie G - Not CI. Right is IC. AB123456AICSURNAME
Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 06:34:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Annie G,
When making a voluntary payment of National Insurance for a period when overseas,you do not pay on the GOV.UK website.
Yes you can make a bank transfer. If you are paying from a UK bank account you make the payment to:
•    sort code - 08 32 20
•    account number - 12001004
•    account name - HMRC NIC Receipts
If you are paying from an overseas bank account, you should use details:
•    account number (IBAN) - GB49 BARC 2020 4830 9447 93
•    Bank Identifier Code (BIC) - BARCGB22  
•    account name - HMRC NIC receipts
For the reference number: 
Use your National Insurance number followed by ‘IC’, your surname then your initial.
If your bank limits you to a certain amount of characters, you should use your National Insurance number followed by ‘IC’ and as much of your surname as possible.
For example if your name is Anne Jones, you’d write the reference as QQ123456AICJONESA
Put your reference number in the reference box supplied by your bank.
If you are not sure of which years are Class 2, please contact our National Insurance Helpline and an advisor can assist you and note on our system which years you are intending to pay.
Please find out contact details below:
National Insurance: general enquiries
Thankyou

You must be signed in to post in this forum.