Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 05 Jul 2023 13:06:00 GMT by
Hi - we are changing payroll provider in the next three months - do we need to notify HMRC and do we need a different PAYE reference number? If the latter how do we get a different number and what timescales should we work to ?
Posted Thu, 06 Jul 2023 14:58:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi laura McMahon,

No you can change payroll provider you just need to follow their process for moving the information for your current system onto the new one.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:30:52 GMT by Geek
@HMRC, many of our clients have reported issues once they have submitted the FPS for the 1st time on the new software resulting in their employees having UC stopped. There seems to be a glitch on the HMRC system that allocates YTD figures to current month pay (FPS is confirmed correct). Their current reply is that the employer needs to ring the helpline (and wait hours) for each case to be corrected manually. As you can imagine from a employer such as a care provider with potentially hundred PAYE references this is not feasible, and leaving vulnerable employees out of pocket is causing an undue amount of stress. The RTI-Data-Item-guide 23-24 clearly states 'The duplicate records will require action by HMRC to correct these as this is not an automatic process. Until this takes place, the employees Personal Tax Account will show 2 records for the same employer, which may prompt contact to the employer and/or HMRC. This scenario can also occur when updating existing employee details onto a new payroll software package.' But not that HMRC systems are adding YTD figures to current month pay. Will you issue a guide to software providers so that they can try and support new clients, as the advise above is misguided to this known issue
Posted Wed, 02 Aug 2023 12:59:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Geek,

Please contact us on 0300 200 3200 to discuss this in more detail.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 11 Aug 2023 06:13:40 GMT by eeglig
Hi, I’m having exactly the same issue raised by Geek. And when I contacted the number provided here, I was told each of my new clients employees must ring HMRC directly, which is very difficult and inconvenient, especially as it’s not their fault. Is there any way I as the payroll provider can get help with notifying HMRC that these employees have only had one job with my client? There are over 800 staff and they won’t get through to HMRC in time for a tax code change before they are paid again in august!
Posted Mon, 14 Aug 2023 11:21:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi eeglig
Please call the number again and ask to speak to a technician so we can investigate if there is an underlying issue.
Posted Tue, 22 Aug 2023 09:48:09 GMT by plam1405 Lamont
Hi, can I ask, our employees are changing payroll provider but the PAYE reference will remain the same. Is there anything we need to report to HMRC? Via the FPS or via the employer helpline?
Posted Wed, 30 Aug 2023 07:05:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi plam1405 Lamont,
No, you just need to ensure the correct process is followed in the payroll software to ensure the records are not duplicated.
Thank you. 

Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2024 17:49:19 GMT by S Kan
I am in same scenario. Changed payroll resulting in HMRC over charging me by £13000. I raised a dispute and they said they will unallocate the payment taken by direct debit while the disputes team investigate but then a week later they have taken another direct debit to compensate the unallocated payment. I am now £26000 in red due to this and HMRC don’t seem to really care the hardship this is causing the business. Please can someone help me
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2024 13:43:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You will need to contact our Employers team to pursue this.

Employers: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.