Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2023 05:56:09 GMT by Ashwin Patkar
Hi, I was in United Kingdom from January 2023 to May 2023. I have left United Kingdom in May 2023. I have submitted my P85 along with P45. Do I still need to do self assessment? If yes, how to do it from outside of United Kingdom.
Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:12:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi ,
In both scenarios, you would meet the criteria for Self Assessment on the grounds that you receive foreign interest. 

See :

Tax on foreign income  .

If you are also employed, you should report your employment income in the Employment pages (SA102) .

Thank you .
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 05:38:04 GMT by Ashwin Patkar
Hi, I was in United Kingdom for 4 months. I have left UK and will be working from outside of UK. I have submitted my P85 along with P45. I am not a UK resident with foreign income or capital gains. Do I still need to do self assessment?
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:01:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 18
Hi,

Please refer to:

Self Assessment tax returns

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 05:21:00 GMT by Ashwin Patkar
Hi, Thanks you reply. I checked the link and most of my queries are clarified. I am a bit un-clear on the part of receiving foreign income/interest. I did not receive any foreign income/interest or Income from outside the UK (includes pensions) when I was in UK. Do I still need to send self assessment form?
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 14:47:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Please refer to Self Assessment tax returns
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 15:52:31 GMT by Ashwin Patkar
As mentioned earlier I have checked the link but I am still not clear. Can you please explain that if I did not receive any foreign income/interest or Income from outside the UK (includes pensions) when I was in UK then do I still need to send self assessment form?
Posted Fri, 01 Dec 2023 10:21:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Ashwin Patkar,
If this was the only thing that could have meant a return was required, then no.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 04 Dec 2023 11:41:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Ashwin Patkar,

There are other criteria besides being in receipt of foreign income that require the completion of a tax return, so we cannot advise whether you need to complete a tax return or not. To check if a tax return is required you can use the tool here:

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Alternatively you  can contact our Self Assessment team.

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.