Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2024 12:41:26 GMT by Olimacky
I worked as a casual worker (secondary examinations board) for a year and paid tax on my earnings. This can be seen in my HMRC app. I have subsequently left in January 2024 and have asked my employer to give me my P45. As we enter the new financial year, I won't be doing work for this employer, so it needs removing. When I called today, they said they don't provide P45s to casual workers (zero hours). Is this correct? Can I log into my HMRC app and update my employer to show as not working there? I know I spoke to a HMRC representative last month, and they mentioned you can send a letter to them to check this. I have emails to prove I've asked for a P45. Any advice and guidance would be appreciated to settle my anxiety around this. Thanks
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2024 14:46:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

Hi ,

You would need to speak to personal tax re this, however if you were put on payroll and

your pay was reported for tax and NI then the employer should provide you with a P45.

Thank you .
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2024 16:35:32 GMT by Olimacky
Thank you, I've contacted them again. What happens if they don't provide me with a P45? Can HMRC chase this? Also, shall I update this on my app? Thanks
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2024 10:08:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Olimacky,
If you do not have a P45 then you can fill in a new starter checklist with your new employer and then you can contact personal tax to request a updated tax code be issued once you are showing as an employee.
As stated previously we would advise you to direct your question to the Personal tax office which can be reached on 0300 200 3300.
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:14:42 GMT by Olimacky
Thank you for your reply. I am not starting a new job as I have 2 others that are 0 hours. So, do I need a P45 in this case? Thanks
Posted Mon, 08 Apr 2024 09:41:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Olimacky

As your current employment has not ended you will not have a P45 to give to your employer. The new employer will give you a starter checklist to complete instead. 

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.