Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 27 Jul 2023 10:16:05 GMT by Cart C
Hi Sir/Madam, Since this is my first year working in the UK (starting in August-2022), I would like to know if the PAYE system automatically calculates the allowance(0 to £12,570) for a person? According to my payslip, the PAYE system deducts my income directly without calculating allowances, or do i need to apply refund myself? Thank you in advance for your reply. BR
Posted Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:13:36 GMT by Catherine Newman
Hi KATAT CHAN. I have just come across this while flicking through posts. HMRC issue a PAYE code to be operated by your employer. It is your employer who instigates the code to be operated against your pay. You need to ask your payroll operator. If you look at your payslip is there code 1257L on there?
Posted Fri, 28 Jul 2023 06:24:01 GMT by Cart C
Hi Catherine, Thank you for your reply. I can’t find any 1257L in my payslip, I just saw my tax code is BR0 , so in this case my company will do the refund for me?
Posted Mon, 31 Jul 2023 08:52:12 GMT by Cart C
Hi Catherine, My company HR mention that they cannot see any notifications from HMRC to put me onto a more standard tax code, so in this case i need to contact HRMC to update my tax code? Or does everybody working(under PAYE system) in the UK can get the personal income tax allowance or it is just for the UK citizen?
Posted Thu, 03 Aug 2023 10:22:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 20

After the tax year has ended, we will do an end of year tax calculation and if you did not receive your allowance we will issue a P800 tax calculation between July and October.
see also Tax codes

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.