Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 21 May 2024 09:38:52 GMT by Hamlin57
Hello, Back in January 2023 we employed one employee with a gross salary of £2750. Our software calculated a HMRC bill of £750 and that was paid at the time. Our sole employee was on a fixed monthly rate of £2750, so nothing unusual happened. In May 2023 HMRC started chasing us for £7800 for PAYE charges for January 2023. HMRC's numbers are clearly wrong. I contacted HMRC at the time (around March 2023, I think) and the case was passed to the "Technical Team" with all information that the HMRC operator requested. I have just been notified that the Technical Team have now closed the case stating that I have not supplied any information to them! I supplied all information that was requested at the outset. They are now chasing for the £7800 (+interest) and I cannot get through any of the helplines. Please help. What should I do to get this error in the system corrected when I cannot contact HMRC? Andrew
Posted Fri, 24 May 2024 10:40:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Unfortunately, you will need to contact our Employer team to see if this is a mapping issue or a disputed charge.

Employers: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 24 May 2024 11:29:17 GMT by Hamlin57
Thank you for your answer, but I don't understand the answer. I don't know what a "mapping" issue is, but I am at least able to tell you that it is a disputed charge. It is a charge and I have disputed it. It concerns me that you have read my query and not deduced that I am disputing the charge. I sense that you were using jargon, but I cannot be sure. Secondly, I did get through to the Employer line eventually and they advised me to resubmit the RTI for the month in question. I have done that and it is no different. Please tell me what I need to do to get someone at HMRC to fix this obvious error. Now that I have written, telephoned at least 4 times successfully and about a dozen unsuccessfully and used the community forum. Please tell me how I can speak to someone who is able to fix this.
Posted Thu, 30 May 2024 10:45:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Hamlin57,
I am sorry if the previous answer did not help, but a mapping issue is when 2 or more of our internal systems dont match, this is something we would fix internally without need for input from yourselves. A dispute charge is when all our systems match but you are adamant that the figures are not the ones you've sent. If you have raised a disputed charge with ourselves then we will need to wait until this is investigated and unfortunately we do not have a timescale for these cases and each one is unique.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.