Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 19 Jul 2023 14:50:49 GMT by Graeme Davis
When was the change made to send new PAYE scheme references to the employer's trading address rather than the payroll correspondence address (ie the Agent)? We now have to check with out clients continually to see if a reference has been received, before then checking with HMRC who are still sending email acknowledgements as if the agent will receive the post and also states this usually takes about 'a week' which is simply not true. I have been waiting for once scheme since 9 June (it is now 19 July). THEN we have to apply for online access separately with activation codes sent by post. This is far too slow and cumbersome.
Posted Tue, 01 Aug 2023 09:51:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Initial registration letters and online authorisation codes are sent to an employer's business address for security reasons.
This is to prevent fraudulent schemes from being set up and operated incorrectly.  
I can only apologise if email acknowledgements are being sent advising the registration letters will be sent directly to an agent.
I will raise this issue for further investigation.
Online applications are generally processed within 7 days with the reference letter being issued to the employer/client.
Your client should receive this letter within 3-5 working days from when it was issued.
If you have a PAYE registration outstanding, please contact the Employer Helpline on 0300 200 3200 and an adviser will be able to progress chase this for you.
You will need your application reference number to hand.  
Thankyou.
Posted Tue, 01 Aug 2023 10:46:37 GMT by Graeme Davis
For the scheme we applied for on 8 June, references arrived on 27 July - along with those for applications made on 4th and 10th July. These have all come to our agent address (given for ' payroll correspondence') although we had been repeatedly been asking the client for them due to the delay. This contradicts what you say in your reply. Has there been a recent change to where references sent or not? It now seems like it was a 'one off' when the refs were sent to the client's business address. Online authorisation codes, applied for after references issued, have always gone to the client's address for their explicit approval.
Posted Fri, 04 Aug 2023 13:23:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Graeme Davis,
There has been a recent change where references must be sent to the business address.
Thank you. 

Posted Sat, 05 Aug 2023 14:39:27 GMT by Graeme Davis
If this is the case - 1) why has the change not been publicised anywhere - eg in the employer bulletin? 2) why did references for the 3 schemes we applied for in June and July all come to the 'payroll correspondence' address and not the clients business address?
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 11:13:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
I cant comment on why this hasnt been publicised but it may be updated in future publications.
I'm also not able to comment on specific PAYE schemes.
If you are concerned about these schemes please contact us on 0300 200 3200 so we can go through security and investigate this.
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 11:37:14 GMT by Graeme Davis
Perhaps HMRC could simply make it clear when a PAYE scheme is applied for, exactly where the PAYE references will be sent.
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 14:35:37 GMT by Natalie
Hi, I'd like to share my experience regarding this matter. Working in a bureau, the most recent references we received were directed to the payroll correspondence address on June 30th. There have however been instances where the letters were sent to the employers address. Clarity on this issue would be greatly appreciated. As a bureau, we establish numerous PAYE schemes, and if we are unaware that these letters are being sent to the client addresses, we cannot inform our clients to anticipate their arrival. Best Regards
Posted Wed, 09 Aug 2023 14:51:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Graeme Davis,

Thank you for your feedback. I will ensure this is passed on. 

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 11 Oct 2023 14:37:28 GMT by
When are the best times to call ?
Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:49:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
The helpline for employers queries is open Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm
Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.