Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 02 Jul 2024 14:43:34 GMT by Wheeler
I am in a salary sacrifice arrangement with my employer. Am I able to get tax relief on any additional pension contributions I make into my own SIPP up to the annual limit 60K this tax year and last year and 40k before that up to £100% of my post salary sacrifice income. Or can I not do this when i am in a salary sacrifice situation?
Posted Fri, 05 Jul 2024 11:21:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Wheeler,
You need to take into account the payments made under salary sacrifice as this forms part of the 60k annual allowance.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 05 Jul 2024 14:08:36 GMT by ws2000 Stad
Hi. I made pension contributions over the last 4 years to a SIPP outside of my workplace pension scheme. I earn less than £100,000 but over £50,000, therefore I have never had to submit a self assessment. I have now been made aware that I am owed further tax relief on the higher rate tax for my pension contributions. How do I claim back the tax on my pension contributions given I have paid tax at the 40% tax rate if i do not need to do a self assessment? And how can i claim back the tax for the prior years? Thank you
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2024 14:19:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi ws2000 Stad,
Put your claim in writing or call HMRC.
If the gross amount of the contribution is over £10,000 for any of these tax years the claim must be made in writing with evidence of the payment/s made from the
pension provider specifying whether the payments are net or gross.
Tax on your private pension contributions
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2024 17:12:19 GMT by speedyuk
How does the timing for making additional lump sum pension contributions work? I'm looking to potentially retire this year at age 60. I've only made 5 to 6% contributions to my company pension over the last 5 years. I'd hoped that I could use ALL of the previous 3 years allowances minus what I've already paid to make a £140k contribution to pension as one final boost. I've since discovered to my dismay that you are limited to your total earnings in the year. So if I leave work in September for example it would only be my salary up to that time. How does it work timing wise as you won't know until you have left precisely what your income would be. Do you have a grace after you have left to make the payment into the scheme. Same applies if still in work how does the timing work around the tax year end / beginning? When do you have to have made the payment for it to count in the 'previous' tax year? Hope that makes sense.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.