Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 12:17:29 GMT by langers1974
Thanks for the reply. How does this now work with the new self assessment rules being over 150k now. Also, If I declare my actual salary (123K) with bonus - I will go into a 45% tax bracket and "if" I get the bonus, I should only pay the correct tax on the month I receive it (March 25) and not for the remaining 11 months (which would be 123K) so still being in the lower tax bracket. So, what I'm trying to say is if I declare total earnings, its not a reflection on my actual wages on a monthly basis. Thanks
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2024 14:12:02 GMT by David I
Hi, Due to recieve back pay in October payslip. This will mean that i will pay 45% tax for that month by my calculations. My pay will return to normal In November and at year end i will be well below the 45% threshold. How soon will i recieve a rebate on the overpaid tax/NI Thanks.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 09:58:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi David I,
As long as your tax code is been operated on a cumulative basis, any tax overpaid should be refunded automatically through your wages.
This will be once your income drops below the 45% threshold for the year based on the tax table rates for that week or month.
Please see guidance here:
Income Tax rates and Personal Allowances
Thank you. 

Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2024 14:20:17 GMT by David I
Hi, Thanks for the reply. Will drop back to normal the following month, so hopefully rebated then or the following month.
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2024 15:58:11 GMT by loukea0
Hi, I have a salary of £36,500 and am due to receive an annual bonus in August of £8000. I have just received my payslip and my total pay has been taxed £3,353 where I normally pay about £355 in income tax. How will I receive this money back? This bonus only birngs my annual income to £44k and doesnt take me over any higher tax bracket. Also, how is your mandatory student loan payments taken in to account? As these have taken 10x what they normally take? Even if I receive a complete NI tax rebate I will still be paying well over what I should on income tax for 1 bonus payment per year?
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2024 15:17:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi langers1974,
If your total income, including your bonus, does not exceed £150,000 in 23/24, you will not have to complete a Self Assessment tax return.
From 24/25, you do not need to complete a Self Assessment return, regardless of your level of income, if you have no other Self Assessment criteria.
To accurately update the amount of income your tax code is based on, and for more advice on how your tax code works, contact us by phone
via Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 07:37:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi loukea0,
As your payment has been received via payroll, assuming your tax code is cumulative and monthly pay, you will have paid tax due on that payment for that month. If your tax is on a cumulative basis, your tax will correct itself as the tax year progresses. This could mean a reduction of tax paid in future payments. If by the end of the tax year your tax has not corrected itself, an end of year reconcilliation will occur to calculate the final tax position. 
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.