Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 01 Mar 2023 23:40:53 GMT by
Hi, I am currently living in Canada and have been working here full-time since January 2020. I have recently come to learn that when I left I should maybe have submitted a P85, letting HMRC know about my move. I haven't had any income from the UK since I left, I only earn income and pay taxes here in Canada. Now that I've discovered this P85 form, should I submit one that is dated for when I moved to Canada? Thanks
Posted Mon, 06 Mar 2023 13:43:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

As the 2019 to 2020 year will have already been reviewed and any potential repayment settled, a P85 is not needed. You can however, let us know your new address (if not already noted) to keep your record updated.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 22:40:55 GMT by Chandler
Hi, I have a question regarding the p85. I left the UK in 2017. I worked there and paid some taxes because I had two jobs, but for a short time and with low wages. I did not earn the annual minimum for the tax declaration. Finally, I got a full-time job abroad. Shall I fill out the p85?
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 09:10:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Chandler,
If you have left the UK then yes the P85 would be the correct form to submit.
As it is going back to 2017 then that tax year should have already been reviewed and any refund issued.
If you contact HMRC we can check if reviewed. Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 09:56:32 GMT by
Dear Team, I would like to ask about Form P85 for past years. I lived and worked in UK for a short time: from November 2015 to January 2016. I worked in a call center and received slightly more than the minimum wage. In January 2016 I left UK and my job for family reasons. I am currently living in Germany and have been working here full-time since November 2016. I have recently come to learn that when I left I should maybe have submitted a P85. I haven't had any income from the UK since I left, I only earn income and pay taxes here in Germany. I have no property in UK and I am not UK citizen, I am EU citizen. Do I need to sent now in January 2024 this P85? Are there any penalties for people who did not send this form on time? Or is it possible to get some kind of tax refund after submitting this form for two months of work in UK? Thank you in anticipation for your answer! Best regards
Posted Fri, 19 Jan 2024 10:22:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi EU citizen_3,
No you do not need to send in the P85 now. the 2015/16 year is now out of date for any action to be taken.
Thank you.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2024 14:10:03 GMT by UK-Resident-dz
Hi, I have a question regarding the P85. I have been working and tax payer since 2021 and leaving for good the UK in the next month. My question is: Can I submit from 2021 to 2024?  thanks and regards ,
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:29:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi UK-Resident-dz,
Tax if you leave the UK to live abroad
You should complete form P85 when leaving the UK or a complete a Self Assessment if you complete Tax returns. 
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.