Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 13 Sep 2023 01:12:23 GMT by Richard Birkhead
I pay pension contributions after tax and the pension company applies 20% tax to the payment, as I am a higher rate tax payer (40%) I should get an additional 20% tax and all the guidance says to write to HMRC. I wrote to HMRC and got no response, I then filled in the note/comment on the two affected tax years on the gateway and these were “completed” by HMRC but no response, payment or tax code change. I’ve tried phoning and given up as you get cut off before actually speaking to anyone so I also wrote again in August 2023 and still no response. I am absolutely owed by HMRC but it seems impossible to resolve and very frustrating. Is my next step an official complaint? I can’t see another route to contact.
Posted Wed, 13 Sep 2023 10:28:02 GMT by Colin Anderson
Fill out a tax return for the years in question, that will trigger the refund / recalculation.
Posted Thu, 14 Sep 2023 13:42:01 GMT by Richard Birkhead
All the guidance, including HMRC's own web site says i only need to contact them, a colleague in a similar situation completed the message on the HMRC Gateway and this was sufficient.
Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 11:05:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
The mail items are processed in date order and when the item is reviewed you will get a response by post.
To query the position regarding this you will need to contact our Income Tax helpline again :
Income Tax: general enquiries
Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 13:17:11 GMT by Richard Birkhead
Thanks, so when the item is marked at "complete" it just means its been read and not that its been actioned? Should this be taking 4-5 months to deal with? Is there a mail option rather than phone as i've never actually got through?
Posted Fri, 22 Sep 2023 19:26:22 GMT by Richard Birkhead
Well I got a written letter reply to my August letter, looks like it was written by a child and doesn’t answer or address the issue raised and only mentions one tax year when I raised two. It says “you have overpaid tax” the next paragraph says “on the other hand, our actual medical insurance was more….” Makes no sense and if I can be this vague when I decide what tax I pay I’m sure HMRC wouldn’t be happy, I feel HMRC doesn’t have a clue.
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 15:27:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Richard Birkhead,

When an item is marked as “complete” this means we have processed it.  Please contact us for us to check your claim and what is happening with it.  
Please see Income Tax: general enquiries
If you do not wish to contact us by phone you can use the option at the top “Ask HMRC Online” which will take you to our webchat service.

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 13:00:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

We are sorry if your enquiry was not dealt with in the reply you received. If you contact our Income Tax team, we can be reviewed for you.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.