Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 03 Jul 2023 12:58:33 GMT by igys
I received a money gift from my parents, who are domiciled (and resident) abroad. It came from their non-UK assets. I transferred it to the UK and used it to buy a house here. Will the inheritance tax be due if my parents die within 7 years of giving me the gift?
Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2023 13:35:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi igys,

If an estate exceed the thresholds, UK Inheritance tax is paid by the estates of someone who is UK domiciled, even if they are not resident in the UK, when they die.  
Non Uk residents would only be subject to inheritance tax in the UK, if they had  UK assets at their time of death.  
There is more information at When someone living outside the UK dies.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2023 14:29:19 GMT by igys
Thank you for the message, but unfortunately it doesn't answer the question asked. My question related to the situation where there is a gift between a person that's not UK-domiciled and not UK-resident to a person who is a UK-resident, and the gifter dies afterwards. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 08:56:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Please contact the Inheritance Tax team for advice.

Inheritance Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 11:16:50 GMT by Cosimo Lupo
IHTM27212 from Inheritance Tax Manual (https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/inheritance-tax-manual/ihtm27212) says: > Unsettled property that is situated (IHTM27071) abroad at the time it is transferred is excluded property if the beneficial owner (IHTM04031) is also domiciled (IHTM13000) outside the UK at that time. I suppose this should also be relevant for a money gift from parents, if both the money and the parents are domiciled abroad at the time of the transfer?
Posted Thu, 13 Jul 2023 14:03:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
If the gift came from UK assets, there may be inheritance tax payable by the deceased estate.  
If the deceased has no UK assets, when the gift was made, there is no inheritance tax.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 12:12:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
That is correct.
Thank you.
Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2023 18:14:08 GMT by Saima Irfan
My parents who were Pakistani national and residents, have both passed away. They have left myself and my siblings inheritance. What's the best way to bring cash to the UK? Is there a limit on how much I can bring in one trip or can I transfer it all through my bank in Pakistan to my bank in UK? Am I liable to pay any tax on it in uk? What proof of any do I need to provide in the UK? Thanks
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 12:51:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Saima Irfan,
The guidance below explains the rules on bringing cash to the UK.
Take cash in and out of the UK                                     
From a tax perspective, there are no Income Tax implications when you transfer funds from an overseas country to the UK.
However, any interest or dividends generated may be taxable.  
Tax on savings and investments: detailed information
Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 11:42:16 GMT by Zbls
Dear Madam/Sir, I am a UK resident since birth. A long time family friend, being Swiss citizen and residing in Malta, is considering gifting me a substantial sum of money (approximately £200,000) by bank transfer to the UK, to assist me and my husband with our house purchase in the UK. I understand that gifts are generally not subject to income tax or capital gains tax for the recipient in the UK.  However, I would like clarification on any potential tax implications, particularly regarding inheritance tax, given that the gift is coming from a third country. Your guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Yours sincerely
Posted Wed, 28 Feb 2024 09:44:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Zbls,
There are no Income Tax implications on the receipt of a cash gift unless the cash gift generates interest or dividends.
These would then potentially be subject to tax.
Further guidance can be found here:
Tax on savings interest
Inheritance tax is payable on the UK estate of the deceased, if they are not resident in the UK and their world-wide estate if they are UK resident.
The cash gift will not have UK Inheritance Tax implications, but there could be something of this nature in Malta for your friend.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.