Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2024 11:14:57 GMT by seat68a68b
Dear HMRC, I am writing to inquire about the tax implications regarding a specific scenario involving my ownership of HSBC shares and subsequent gifting of these shares to my parent, as well as the subsequent receipt of share dividends from these gifted shares. To provide further context, I am a UK tax resident and initially acquired the HSBC shares. However, I transferred ownership of these shares to my parent as a gift without any consideration, thereby relinquishing all rights and claims to these shares. Importantly, no capital gains were realized during the period of my ownership. Following the transfer, my parent now holds the HSBC shares and has recently received dividends from them. As a further gesture, my parent intends to gift these share dividends to me. My concern is whether I would be liable to pay tax on these dividends, as they essentially originate from the initial gift I gave to my parent. I kindly request guidance on the tax implications and obligations associated with this situation. Any clarification you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your attention to this matter. Yours sincerely, 
Posted Wed, 13 Mar 2024 14:39:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi seat68a68b,
As you gifted the shares to your parents, you may have a capital gains liability arising on the gift. If the market value of the shares at the time of gifting
them to your parents, was more than you acquired them for, after dedudting your costs, then you have a gain.  If the gain is below the annual exempt allowance, then no tax is payable.  
As your parents are now the beneficial owners of the shares, they are the beneficial owners of the dividends they generate. They will need to declare the
dividends and poetntially pay tax on them.  
If they gift the dividend to you as a cash gift, then there are not tax implications.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.