Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2024 09:39:08 GMT by Ellenbf42 F
Hi All I’m trying to fill in the foreign tax section of the HMRC online tax return. When I choose Yes in “Do you wish to claim foreign tax credit relief?” I have to chose a % tax rate. I know the amount of tax payable in Australia but to get the % what Income amount do I use ? It might be easier to state some numbers to see what I mean. Assume (not accurate): 8k Australian earned income 5k Australian franking credits on dividends 7k UK income taxable in Australia and UK 35k UK income taxable in Australia but not in UK (pension lump sum) -30k pension contribution in Australia (Also complicating matters in the tax free threshold in Australia of 9k which I think I ignore) My net taxable income (on which I pay tax) in Australia would be 25k (8+5+7+35-30). Is this the amount to use as income in calculating the foreign tax credit % ? So if I pay 5k tax in Australia, the % is 20% ?? Or do I ignore all of the UK income, or the UK non taxable income ? Also, when filling out the section there is a field “Foreign tax taken off or paid: (optional)”. Do I put the tax paid against the particular income in here (as well as in the foreign tax credit area) ? Thanks for any help Ellen
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2024 02:02:36 GMT by Ellenbf42 F
Pls ignore this. I think I understand better now - the tax rate used is that specified in the DTA with Australia and the UK, 10% for interest, 15% for dividends. Thanks
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 08:15:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Ellenbf42 F,
Please have a look at the double taxation tax treaty between the UK and Australia:
2003 Australia-UK Double Taxation Convention - in force Updated 31 May 2021
Article 10 covers dividends.
For most individuals the relief rate is 15%.
You can find tax treaties for the UK and other countries on this internet.
Search for 'tax treaties uk / xxxx'.
The FTCR will be up to a maximum of 15% of the Australian dividend received, depending on how much UK tax is payable on all of the dividends in the tax return.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.