Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 02 Oct 2023 20:50:22 GMT by Omnidyne
I've only ever had income from employment, and as such, pay all my taxes through PAYE through my employer. I had and have non cash benefits. I've recently switched jobs, and for some reason my total personal allowance for the year has gone from £12,570 to £10,911 (even including my previous job's Tax code), my tax account is saying I've underpaid tax by £170 (gross £1,659), which can't be true. Anybody know if switching jobs somehow reduces the personal allowance?
Posted Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:32:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Omnidyne,

If you changed jobs and received a wage in the same pay period from both jobs then this can cause an underpayment which would be collected in your tax code.
To review your tax code you can contact HMRC at: Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 19 Oct 2023 13:34:15 GMT by Omnidyne
I didn't receive wages at the same time. I ended my job in early August and only started my next job in September. Should the tax codes not add up to 12,570? At the moment my personal allowance only adds up to 10,911 (853L from old job, 237TX from new job) , even though I've paid all the tax I need to through PAYE, with no overlalp
Posted Mon, 30 Oct 2023 13:54:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If we had not received the details of you leaving your old job before starting your new job then your tax code would be spilt between the jobs. If you now have just one job and your tax code has not yet been amended to reflet this you will need to contact our Income Tax team to review.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 07 Nov 2023 16:36:05 GMT by
my combined income from private pensions is £11,081 per year. On the government gateway the figure is set £413 higher at £11,494, Also my personal allowance is reduced from £12,570 to £12,157 , a reduction by the same figure of £413. If my total income is below personal allowance why this reduction in the allowance? I am not paying tax at the moment but my state pension is due to start and I will be paying tax again . So I want the correct personal allowance applied . I have some savings but nothing that is attracting high interest income . Can you help ?
Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 13:08:01 GMT by
its ok . above query is resolved now.
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 09:00:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi pez57 perry,
We would need to access your record to check why your code is lower than expected.
You can contact HMRC Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2024 07:14:08 GMT by AnitaAlice Sandall
I would like to know several things: a) I did not earn enough to pay any tax last year; why have I been taxed and why is it taking so long (it says I will receive a letter between June and November - if I get one - to redress this wrong and the rebate incumbent therein) b) I am not - for this tax year - on a REDUCED PERSONAL ALLOWANCE. (!!!) It is saying 1224L instead of 12570. Why? I am a widowed parent and really really struggling to live; this is so appalling, to inflict this sort of over taxation, a wait and then to make matters even more debilitating if that as even possible in this country which is in its knees - there is no explanation or anything anywhere explaining why my personal allowance has been calculated as lower than it should be. Nothing by way of reassurance. It beggars belief; no wonder everybody is trying to leave the UK and the suicide rate here is rocketing. I don't understand why my taxable allowance has dropped. The ONLY PEOPLE THIS APPLIES TO IS PEOPLE EARNING OVER 100K - ACCORDING TO HMRC'S OWN WEBSITE - AND THEY CAN SEE I DIDN'T EVEN EARN 12K LAST YEAR - YET THEY HAVE DROPPED MINE. Widowed mothers are on their knees and struggling at the best of times.
Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 07:21:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi AnitaAlice Sandall,
We are sorry for any distress the reduction in your allowances may have caused, as well as the wait you've experienced in receiving your repayment.
To allow us to review your code and progress your repayment as quickly as possible, please contact us by webchat or phone here:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.