Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:34:17 GMT by
I am a British national and have been invested in an ISA since the late 1980's. In 2002 I accepted a job offer in Vietnam and am still living in Vietnam, The GOV.UK page for ISA's notes that ISA's can still be held after moving abroad except that no further money can be added. My ISA was originally with Alliance Trust but was moved in a group transfer to Interactive Investor. I passed all the identity, source of wealth and money laundering checks in 2021. Interactive Investor have now informed me that my account will be closed in 90 days. Can they do this in view of the government rules allowing ISA accounts to be retained when moving abroad?
Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:01:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi

We are unable to answer your question, as it is not a question on tax.  
You would need to take this up with the ISA provider or seek professional advice.  
You can transfer the ISA to another provider, even if you are not resident in the UK.  Please see Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs)

Thank you
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2024 10:34:07 GMT by Biggie11 Biggo
Hello. I have a couple of questions. My first question is to do with residency. I am a british citizen, born in england, my parents also. I lived in croatia for 12 months, but not continuosly. I came back for a couple weeks at a time to visit family. I then returned home in february and stayed in england until the middle of march. I am now travelling asia for 7 months. Does this class me as a non UK resident? I live with my parents in the UK and I do not own any houses abroad or in the UK. 2) I would like to put money into an ISA, but you have to be UK resident to do so. That is why I am asking. Thanks!
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 13:18:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

HMRC canot advise you on your residence status as this is for you to determine based on the guidance available.

RDR3 Statutory Residence Test

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.