Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 07 Apr 2022 07:56:49 GMT by
Hi, I am set to have a temporary summer job starting in July which is currently being processed. I also recently joined Stint and am just waiting to be verified (which usually takes a month) to start working. On Stint I accept part time shifts as of when available, so I won't earn money until I actually do a shift which can take a long time if I don't accept any shifts. I have been advised by Stint not to accept any shifts until after my summer job, then I would send them a P45 or new paye starter checklist. How should I declare this information to HMRC, particularly highlighting that Stint would be my main job?
Posted Fri, 08 Apr 2022 16:42:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Nana,

Employers usually send us through employment details when you are first paid, therefore we wouldn't expect to be notified of the employment by Stint until you are first paid. They are correct in that when the temporary job finishes, you give your P45 to them to allow them to set the correct tax code.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 04 Dec 2022 00:49:27 GMT by
Hi, I am on a dependent Visa, and have a permanent Job. I recently took up 2 other jobs, an additional permanent job (Flexible) and a contract offer. My question is, how do notify HMRC and how do I tell them which should be considered 2nd and 3rd Job. Also , I have asked around, but let me also reconfirm that it doesn't affect my visa and ILR when the time comes???
Posted Wed, 07 Dec 2022 15:19:08 GMT by
Hi KBoss Daniel,

HMRC will be notified by your new employer within 35 days of you starting, or usually when you receive a first pay from them.

Once you have been paid by your new employer, you can contact our helpline so we can review your tax codes to ensure you are being taxed correctly.

We cannot comment here regarding matters around your VISA.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you. 

Posted Sun, 12 Mar 2023 19:05:02 GMT by
I have just started a job 1 day a week along side my FULL time job. Should I be paying 40% tax on my second job and standard tax on my full time job
Posted Thu, 16 Mar 2023 16:12:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Kian Ward,

If you have reached the higher rate threshold based on the salary from your main job, you will pay 40% on the income from the second job.

Income Tax rates and Personal Allowances

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 19 Jun 2023 12:00:41 GMT by
Hi I am a bit confused if I need to do anything. I have 2 x part time jobs, will my new employer and my current employer have sorted out the secondary employment procedure and informed the HMRC or is this something I needed to do.? Not sure how I know if the HMRC are aware I have two jobs Thanks
Posted Thu, 22 Jun 2023 13:55:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

HMRC will be informed of the new job after you have been paid. If you contact us a week after you have been paid we will be able to ensure the tax codes are correct.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 23 Jun 2023 09:40:08 GMT by
Hi, the tax code with my primary employer is 1257L and I am about to start a new part-time job of the same category as my primary job. Will my tax code with my primary job get changed if I start receiving payment from my second part-time job? what will really happen? will my second employer uses his own tax code and my primary employer remain with 1257L? this is same regarding my NI contributions, will both employers keep their information separate? I will need to inform HMRC when start receiving payment from that second part-time job? can you clearly explain what will happen with my tax codes from both employers? I am on temporary contract with my primary employer and I will also be on the temporary contract with my next part-time job also. Thanks
Posted Wed, 28 Jun 2023 10:11:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi jboss1 jboss1,
If you inform the 'second' employer that you already have a job they should apply the tax code BR to tax this income at 20%.
HMRC will be informed of the job usually after you have been paid for the first time.
Thank you. 
Posted Sat, 02 Sep 2023 17:33:00 GMT by Mahin Farukh
Hi, I have two jobs, One is Full time and other one is part-time. I wanted to contact HMRC to tell them that I have two jobs. In Full time, I pay the tax but on my other job which is part time, my payslip show that they are not taking the tax.
Posted Wed, 06 Sep 2023 14:38:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
If you have signed up for the Personal Tax Account you can update the estimated earnings for each job and we would issue a revised tax code to the second employer.
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 12:42:40 GMT by
If I have a current part time job with a 1257L code earning less than £10,000 per annum, and I start a second full-time job, what tax code do I use for the full-time job? Do I just wait until my next pay day for both jobs and contact HMRC?
Posted Fri, 08 Dec 2023 09:15:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Mohmmedr,
As you are not using all your tax free Personal Allowance at your first job the balance of the Personal Allowance can be allocated to the second job once HMRC have the details.
If you have not yet recevied an amended tax code for  your new job if you contact HMRC we can review and update this for you.
Further guidance can be found here:
Tax codes
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 19:23:30 GMT by
Hi, how do I sort out my tax code for 2 jobs, I started a part time job in addition to my full time job but HMRC have sent a letter saying my full time job has ceased which it hasn't and transferred my tax allowance over to my part time job. how do I rectify this.
Posted Tue, 13 Feb 2024 12:46:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Tina98

You will need to contact HMRC to review/update your tax code Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.