Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 03 May 2024 10:28:57 GMT by Edb
I have completed some freelance work for a Portugal based company and they advised I will need a certificate of tax residence for them to pay me. When I fill in the form it asks how much I've been paid, so I assume the form is valid for money already earned. Looking into it, it seems gov.uk should be able to issue a confirmation of a UK tax paying resident instead. However, the company waiting to pay me seems adamant I need the certificate before being paid and I can't see how to get a confirmation letter. Can anyone advise how I proceed to get paid?
Posted Mon, 13 May 2024 08:54:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

A certificate can only be issued when foreign income has been received other wise it is a letter of confirmation that will be issued.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 14 May 2024 11:41:14 GMT by Edb
Thank you for your response. I have not been able to find an option to get a letter of confirmation, could you advise how I get this?
Posted Thu, 16 May 2024 14:59:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Edb,
You should request a certificate of residence, by completing the online form at How to apply for a certificate of residence to claim tax relief abroad.  
If you have no foreign income to declare, but require a letter of confirmation of residence, because you are required to provide evidence to an overseas authority
that you are resident in the UK for tax purposes, to meet a requirement of an overseas countries local law, then we will issue a Letter of Confirmation of Residence.  
If the request is solely for proof that you are living in the UK and is not for tax purposes, a Letter of Confirmation is not appropriate. In these circumstances, you will
need to contact the overseas authorities to determine what they will accept.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.