Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 16 Jun 2023 15:59:55 GMT by
At present I receive a car allowance in leiu of a company car. This is treated as additonally salary and usual tax and nic amounts are paid. My company want me to switch to a company car - what impact will this have on my tax? The car in question is an EV so a 2% bik rate, will I simply pay the relevant bik due each month for that car so circa £30-40 per month? I have been told this will be cost effective for me however I just wanted to double check as someone said I may still pay the tax on my current allowance as it is higher than the EV bik value
Posted Wed, 21 Jun 2023 08:55:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi

The tax due on a car allowance is typically higher than the tax you would pay on a BIK for an EV.

Thank you

Posted Wed, 21 Jun 2023 09:01:29 GMT by
Thank you, so by switching to the EV company car I will only pay the BIK due on said vehicle?
Posted Mon, 26 Jun 2023 10:27:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Yes, that is correct.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 04 Jan 2024 09:38:51 GMT by
Hi, I am a little confused as I have seen conflicting information online that suggest you pay tax on whichever is the higher, the car allowance or the BIK. Example, if I could receive £6,000 per annum as a car allowance but opted to take an EV vehicle with a BIK value of £1,500 I would be expected to pay tax on the £6,000 and pay no BIK tax? Can you please confirm? Thanks
Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 08:31:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi J-Dee,
You'll always pay Income Tax and NI contributions on the car allowance.
The car allowance amount is simply added to your salary for tax and National Insurance purposes, and the deductions will be made through PAYE by your employer.
If you choose the company car, you pay whichever is highest between the monetary value of the car allowance or the benefit in kind tax on the company car.
Employees who receive a company car must pay company car tax (Income Tax only) whereas the employer will be subject to Class 1A National Insurance contributions.
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 04 Apr 2024 10:58:56 GMT by Paul Hunt
I If I have a taxable cash allowance for a car for business and private use, what is the amount I can claim for business mileage? Thanks Paul
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 10:39:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If you are using your own car for business, the mileage rates can be found here:

Travel — mileage and fuel rates and allowances

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.