Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 01 Jan 2024 19:52:14 GMT by Corinna Lenz
Hello, I am a non-resident in the UK (I live in Sweden), but have a UK bank account where I earn interest on my savings (I have an ISA savings account as well as flex saver account in my UK bank). I am wondering if I need to fill in a self-assessment and pay taxes in the UK because of this? I found the following on the HMRC websites. "With the exception of income from property in the UK and investment income connected to a trade in the UK through a permanent establishment, the tax charge for non-residents on investment income arising in the UK is restricted to the amount of tax, if any, deducted at source. If the tax charge is limited in this way, personal allowances will not be given against other income." Do I understand correctly that unless my bank already takes part of my interest away before it is paid to me ("tax deducted at source"), then there is NO liability for me to complete a self-assessment return and pay taxes? The last sentence of the quote is also giving me trouble - "If the tax charge is limited in this way, personal allowances will not be given against other income." Does that mean, if my bank does NOT deduct tax at source, then I still do not need to submit a self-assessment or pay tax in the UK, but I no longer have a personal allowance amount in the UK - meaning if there is ANY amount of other income that is considered "UK income", I will have to report regardless of amount? Thanks for the clarification.
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:00:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi 

Please refer to to the guidance here  Tax on your UK income if you live abroad

Thank you
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 10:38:47 GMT by Corinna Lenz
Hello, On the link that you provided, it states the following: "You usually have to pay tax on your UK income even if you’re not a UK resident. Income includes things like: pension rental income savings interest wages" Since savings interest is specifically mentioned there it sounds like, even if you are NOT a resident, you have to send a self assessment tax return if you have a UK bank account that generates interest? But it somewhat contradicts the guidance that I found on the gov.uk website about "non-residents and investment income" (see my first post, the link for this is https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/non-residents-and-investment-income-hs300-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs300-non-residents-and-investment-income-2023). Could you please clarify? Thanks.
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:56:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
If you have interest from savings and investment income (excluding dividends), Chargeable Event and/or PPI interest of more than £10000, then yes, you need to complete a tax return.
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:07:40 GMT by Corinna Lenz
Thanks for your response. No, my interest from my savings on my UK bank does not exceed £10000 (and I don't have any Chargeable Event or PPI interest). So in that case, I don't need to complete a tax return in the UK?
Posted Thu, 18 Jan 2024 14:55:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Please use the tool below, to confirm whether a tax return is required, in case something you may not have mentioned, confirms a return is required.

Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 19 Jan 2024 18:50:57 GMT by Corinna Lenz
The link that you sent me to the tool (to check if a self-assessment is required) is for UK residents. As I mentioned, I am a UK non-resident. Could you confirm that, as a UK non-resident, and my ONLY UK income coming from my interest from my UK savings account (less than £10000, as mentioned by HMRC Admin 10), I do NOT need to fill out a self assessmen? Thank you.
Posted Sun, 21 Jan 2024 21:44:25 GMT by
I also have a question about a non uk resident earning interest on a uk savings account. Up to what amount are they allowed to receive before paying tax, how is this calculated. If necessary how do they pay the tax Many thanks
Posted Tue, 23 Jan 2024 13:18:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi Corinna,

Please refer to:

Tax on your UK income if you live abroad

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 25 Jan 2024 09:08:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Stanny77 Russell,
Please have a look at the non residents savings and investment income helpsheet HS300 (Non-residents savings and investment income (Self Assessment helpsheet HS300)).  
This will let you work out your taxable income from UK savings and investments if you’re not resident in the UK.  
Further information can be found at SAIM1170 - Savings and investment income: non-residents.
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 25 Jan 2024 10:26:18 GMT by Corinna Lenz
You are referring me to https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad. I already mentioned in my first two posts that the information in this post contradicts the information found on the "non-residents and investment income" page. This is the reason why I started the thread. Any clarification on that possible?
Posted Mon, 29 Jan 2024 13:02:49 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Yes, your understanding of the position, as stated in your original post, is correct and you are not required to complete a Self Assessment tax return. We apologise for any confusion caused by previous responses. You can see guidance here:                                                   

HS300 Non-residents and investment income (2020)

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 29 Jan 2024 17:49:13 GMT by Corinna Lenz
Thank you! I do appreciate your clarification on this.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.