Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:27:10 GMT by Clarky55
I am tax resident in the UAE (and have been for many years) and will be drawing down my full UK pension as a lump sum. I know tax will be withheld and I will need to claim a tax refund (6 digits) under the UAE-UK Tax Treaty. Can you clarify the following: 1) Can I request the tax refund through the DT Form Individual or will I be required to complete a self-assessment (I have no other UK income)? 2) As the amount of the tax refund is rather large I expect there will be additional scrutiny before it is refunded. Could you please clarify what is likely to be required from me in terms of documentation/evidence? 3) Approx how many months would a refund typically take for a large amount once the form is submitted?
Posted Thu, 24 Aug 2023 06:01:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Clarky55,
It depends on the actual amount of income received.
If the gross payment is over £100,000 you will need to complete a tax return and enclose HS304 with the return.
If under, you can use the DT individual claim form.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 15 Sep 2023 11:34:58 GMT by Francis Starkie
Does anyone have experience of Greece / UK double tax relief? I have been tax resident in Greece since 1 January 2022. I have been trying to claim a UK tax refund on my UK source pension income. HMRC demands that the Greek tax authority sign and stamp my DT Individual form. The Greek tax authority declines to do this and provided a digital certificate of my Greek tax residency which HMRC refuses to accept in place of my signed and stamped DT Individual form. Impasse and I am piggy in the middle. Has anyone had similar experiences or can suggest a solution? Many thanks !!
Posted Thu, 21 Dec 2023 02:03:02 GMT by
I have recently taken a lump sum from my private pension pot. When doing so I paid emergency tax as I am a non-UK resident. I live in France. If I understand correctly there is a double taxation agreement between France and the UK and I am obliged to pay tax on the sum in France and reclaim the emergency tax from the UK. I believe that there is a form that I need to fill in and submit to the French tax office before sending to the British tax authorities. Does anyone have any experience in a situation. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 02 Jan 2024 14:22:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi Steven Maris

You can make a claim using - Double Taxation: UK-France (SI 2009 Number 226) (Form France-Individual)

Thank you
Posted Fri, 17 May 2024 16:26:53 GMT by Heebs1421
Hello l just withdrew my private pension and have been charged emergency tax. As l am a non uk resident landlord..how can l claim the tax back. I am living in the U.A.E. If l need to claim it via self assessment which form do l need to use as we cannot just file our returns online which would make it alot easier especially since we are overseas. I really dont know what the hmrc just dont make an online portal for the non resident landlords to submit their returns. Why make life so difficult..and even more diffult now that the sa100 is no longer downloadable..why should we have to pay for 3rd party software every year,
Posted Wed, 22 May 2024 13:51:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You can see guidance here:

Tax on your UK income if you live abroad

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 02 Jul 2024 14:04:53 GMT by David Hudson
I'm tax resident in France and about to exercise the Uncrystallised Funds Pension Lump Sum (UFPLS) option on half a dozen separate UK pension plans to take the full amount of each plan as a lump sum. I will have to pay UK emergency tax on 75% of the value of each plan. The total amount I will receive after tax will exceed £100,000, so do I therefore need to file both the HS304 and the Form France Individual DT? Thanks.
Posted Fri, 05 Jul 2024 12:52:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi David Hudson

If filing the French DT form, the certification by the French authorities confirms that the income is declared there and you dont need to include the HS304.

Thank you

Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2024 15:16:49 GMT by AndyB65
Hi, As I am tax resident in France, I reclaimed UK income tax deducted from a private pension fund (not in drawdown) that I had transferred to France. However, the amount I was able to transfer excluded AVCs that I had paid into the fund. Sometime after, I received a letter from the agents of the pension company to say that, following legal advice, the pension provider would pay me the AVCs as a lump sum. I received the amount less UK income tax deducted. I applied to reclaim the income tax using the DT form. However, the tax repaid by HMRC is less than the amount of tax deducted at source because a UK personal allowance has been applied. Is this correct? Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2024 10:55:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi AndyB65,
You will need to download and print of the form at the link below.
It should include all your new pensions and send the completed form to the French tax authorities. They will validate the form and return it to you.
You then send it to HMRC at the address on page 1 of the form.  This will allow HMRC to refund all of the tax deducted.
Double Taxation: UK-France (SI 2009 Number 226) (Form France-Individual)
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.