Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 26 Jun 2023 12:43:01 GMT by
Hi I receive 2 monthly pension payments from an insurance company. One payment is for £952 that I have been advised is tax free. The other is for £1100 that is taxable. Do I have to add both of these payments to my self assessment tax return? Do I add the details on by ticking 'Any other income' on section 4 of the return?
Posted Fri, 30 Jun 2023 07:31:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi JeffJeff21,

Can you clarify the reason given for tax free to allow this to be answered correctly.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 01 Jul 2023 08:59:09 GMT by
Apologies if I was not clear. The £952 payment is a pension commencement lump sum (i.e. tax free lump sum). Some individuals take this all in one go. But, I am streaming the monies out from my pension account as a gradual form of “income”. However, my understanding is that it is not income for tax purposes. The only income I am receiving is my £1,100 per month (also from my pension account). I hope all is clear here but let me know if you have any additional questions.
Posted Thu, 06 Jul 2023 15:25:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi

The lump sum £952 is tax free and doesn't need to be declared. The monthly pension is included under other pensions.

Thank you

Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 09:09:29 GMT by
Hi. Apologies I am still not clear where I add the details of this pension on my tax return. Online on page 2 of the 'Tailor your return' section it asks 'Did you receive any UK pensions, annuities or sate benefits?'. Do I tick 'yes' here? Above you mention 'other pensions' but I was unable to find this section when I looked online. Thanks for your time.
Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 12:23:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 8 Response
Hi,
Yes, you tick this box and it then opens up other boxes for you to show the income (dont declare it under state pension.
Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.