Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 05 Oct 2023 10:11:50 GMT by John Powderly
Due to treatment for cancer I do not have to do a self assessment for the 2022-2023 tax year, but I have started to do some self employed work since 12th Sept 2023. Do I need to re-register/reactivate now, or do I just send a self assessment some time between 6th April 2024 and 31st January 2025?
Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 12:39:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
If your Self Assessment record was closed you would need to register again to reopen your record to allow you to submit the 2023/24 tax return. 
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:08:52 GMT by John Powderly
I still have an HMRC account (using app or online) and a UTR number, but cannot find if and where to re-register. I have found a form for registering for the first time. Do I use that? Or is there a way that I have not found yet?
Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 16:57:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi John Powderly,
Please refer to:
HMRC online services: sign in or set up an account
Thank you. 

Posted Mon, 29 Jan 2024 12:00:48 GMT by
I have same case as John, I had submitted self-assessment by post last year, and I want to submit by online this year ( 2022-2023 ). I want to reactivate my self assessment in my online account, cannot find if and where to reactivate it. Your last reply didn't help because HRMC website online as me "login and register/reactive the self assessment". HRMC website direct me to the login, but after I login the gateway, didn't find any place to reactive it. Pls help
Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 13:01:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you cannot see the Self Assessment option on your personal tax account, and you did not send a return online last year, you may need to register for Self Assessment again, you will still ultimately use your current UTR to file your next return, though.

You can find more information here: 

File your Self Assessment tax return online

If you still have issues filing online you will need to contact our online services team:

Technical support with HMRC online services

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.