Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 28 Oct 2023 21:51:30 GMT by briand
I am unclear if I need to complete a self assessent tax return, I have foreign income I want to claim the remittance basis of tax on for the 22/23 tax year. I am non-domiciled and have lived in the UK for less than 7 of the previous 9 tax years.Reading the RDR1 guidance it mentions a exption when 'the following circumstances apply. You: - are a non-domiciled UK resident for that tax year - have no UK income or gains in the tax year (other than taxed UK income of less than £100) - make no remittances of foreign income and gains during the tax year - have been a non-domiciled UK resident for fewer than 7 of the previous 9 tax years,or are aged under 18 throughout the whole of the tax year - are not required to complete a Self Assessment tax return for any other reason To not be required to submit a self do you need to meet one or all of these criteria? thanks, Brian
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 10:32:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi briand,
If you are claiming the remittance basis, you need to complete a tax return as you show this in the residence section of the tax return SA109.
You cannot file online unless you purchase 3rd party software. The whole return must be submitted together.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.