Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 11 Jan 2023 11:05:23 GMT by
Hello HM Revenue & Customs received my tax return for 2021/22 on 26 Dec 2022 and chose to pay through tax-code. Despite doing this I haven't had any tax deducted from my salary. I have checked and I meet the criteria: 1/ I owe less than £3,000 on my tax bill. 2/ I already pay tax through PAYE as I am an employee 3/ I submitted my online tax return online by 30 December. 4/ I have enough PAYE income for HMRC to collect it. 5/ I will not be paying more than 50% of my PAYE income in tax. 6/ I won't end up paying more than twice as much tax as you normally do. 7/ I don't owe £3,000 or more and I have not made a part payment to reduce the amount I owe to less than £3,000 I was hoping that after completing tax self-assessment and choosing pay through my tax code that I would get a notification or communication from HMRC that the tax I owe will get deducted from my salary. Instead I recently received a message from HMRC asking me to pay the tax before 31 January 2022. Does that mean that I need to pay by 31 January next year to avoid penalties or will it start getting deducted at some point next year? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 13 Jan 2023 14:16:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

If you requested the amount to go through your tax code this would happen during the 06 April 2023 to 05 April 2024 tax code. We start to generate these tax codes in January.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:09:36 GMT by
At the moment my current employment (that I have been at since June 2022) is not showing on my personal tax record, will this affect them being able to collect my tax from my PAYE? I have requested an update to my record and listed my employer but the progress shows that it will not be compete until at least 1st Feb.
Posted Tue, 24 Jan 2023 14:27:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 2
Hi,

Please contact our Income Tax team so we can check your account.

Income Tax: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 Apr 2023 17:25:09 GMT by
Exactly the same happen to me, even though i own less than 3k, filled tax return on 30 October electronically and *didn't tick* the box: "If you owe less than £3,000 for the 2021-22 tax year (excluding Class 2 NICs) and you send us your paper tax return by 31 October, or 30 December 2022 if you file online, we'll try to collect the tax through your wages or pension by adjusting your 2023-24 tax code. If you do not want us to do this, put 'X' in the box" Now I received 68 penalty.
Posted Tue, 16 May 2023 23:11:42 GMT by Chris
Likewise - requested to repay my 2021-22 bill via my tax code, met all the stated critera, then had a few reminder emails in January that the payment deadline was approaching which also included the wording "Already paid, set up a Direct Debit or chosen to pay through your tax code? Thank you – you don’t need to do anything else.". Having chosen to do that, and not having heard anything from HMRC to indicate this wouldn't be possible, it seemed entirely reasonable that I could believe the email when it said I didn't need to do anything else. So you can imagine my surprise and dismay when, a couple of months later, I was notified that due to failing to pay by the end of January, I'd been penalised. Now that we've entered the new tax year, I can also see that my tax code has definitely not been adjusted, so it does indeed appear that my request has been silently ignored/refused, leaving me with having to repay in full ASAP (with the resultant short-term strain on my finances it'll incur) as well as hoping the appeal I submitted against the penalty/interest is a success. To say that I'm not happy at this would be putting it mildly - I genuinely don't understand what I've done wrong to have been deemed ineligible for repayment via tax code, or why I've then been penalised for failing to make a payment I wasn't aware I needed to make until HMRC told me I'd been penalised for not having made it already...
Posted Thu, 14 Dec 2023 10:50:29 GMT by
Exactly the same thing happened to my husband last year including being charged a penalty. Again, for 2022/23 he opted to pay the relatively small amount through his tax code and again he has just received a bill saying he must pay by the end of Jan. Last year he assumed his payment would be taken through his tax code and was given a penalty. This is like a scam - you have done everything correctly - completed in time, you owe under £3K, you chose the option HMRC offer (he has a screen grab to prove it) and still you get a bill and will be penalised if you don't pay outright. He is currently holding on for 30 minutes to speak to HMRC. This issue needs to be addressed.
Posted Tue, 02 Jan 2024 14:42:13 GMT by Dominik
Hi Chris, Hi Helen, can I ask if your situations were resolved? I am in the same position, hoping to pay via the tax code but I have not received any confirmation from HMRC that this will be happening and received an email telling me to pay by 31st Jan. HMRC, I'd really appreciate a response. Many thanks,
Posted Thu, 18 Jan 2024 20:41:50 GMT by
Same scenario here too with my husband! I have appealed for the 21/22 penalties, and can see it happening again for the 22/23 year. Why can't they acknowledge that owed tax WILL be paid via the following year's coding?
Posted Tue, 23 Jan 2024 14:49:59 GMT by
Anyone get anywhere with this? Exact same situation with my husband. Eligible and requested it should be subtracted through tax code. Assumed that was that. We caved and set up a DD for this year’s payment when he got the email in Dec saying he still owed (and the fact we set up the DD isn’t yet reflected in his information on the gov site, either, nor did we get any confirmation of the DD. Can they not confirm anything in writing?!) and we don’t want the same thing to happen next tax year.
Posted Wed, 24 Jan 2024 13:24:35 GMT by
Same here. Had a letter in October from HMRC saying that I owed (under £200) and I need not do anything as it would be deducted by change in next year's tax code. Had a letter today saying that it had to be paid by April with no option other than direct payment.
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 06:54:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Kirbean Moormuck,
There are a number of reasons why your husband's tax liability may not have been collected through his code.
To allow us to review his record and confirm why, please contact us by webchat or phone here:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 18:02:10 GMT by
We stupidly never realised the online deadline for submitting through PAYE was different and now have a bill to pay (submitted 2nd January) Always done through PAYE however due to waiting on info from new employer it was submitted later than we normally submit and only due to not getting a notification we logged in to check. Anyone had any experience of getting them to a change it to PAYE or is it just pointless asking? Never had a lump sum to pay before so a bit lost on our options as the info is not exactly the clearest. Any advice would be grateful.
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 11:09:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi John Bloomer,
In order to have an underpayment collected in your tax code, the return needs to be submitted by 30 December.
As you have confirmed you submitted after this date, you will need to pay direct.
If you cannot pay in full, you can arrange to pay in various payment methods.  
Please see guidance here: 
Pay your Self Assessment tax bill

Posted Sat, 03 Feb 2024 14:54:52 GMT by Chris
Dominik, last years problem was "resolved" insomuch as HMRC, after first telling me various other reasons why things hadn't gone as expected, eventually admitted there was a mistake in how my tax account had been set up on their systems and which had prevented my request to repay via tax code being actioned. Consequently they issued an immediate refund of all the penalty payments I'd been told I had to make, however I was still left then having to pay the full original amount owed in a single hit, as it was then clearly too late to set up the tax code repayment as desired. So whilst I was happy they'd finally admitted it was all their mistake and nothing I'd done wrong, it was still not the best of outcomes in terms of being able to repay what I owed in the more gradual manner I was expecting. That was last year... As of right now, my tax account is now once again suggesting that I'm late in repaying, despite still having met all the criteria for being able to repay via tax code. So it wouldn't surprise me if HMRC receive yet another barrage of increasingly irate letters from me this year until they once again admit they've messed things up.
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 09:48:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Chris,
We are sorry you had issues with collecting the balancing payment from your Self Assessment through your tax code.
If you meet the criteria to collect the 2022/23 balancing payment through your tax code but this has not been done then you will need to contact HMRC to review this for you:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2024 22:47:36 GMT by Chris
Having written to HMRC on the same day I posted my last comment above, and having had no response to that letter, when I opened my emails today to find one indicating there was a new message waiting in my tax account mailbox, my spirits dropped - it was via this route that I'd been notified about my first "late payment" penalty last year... However, it came as a VERY pleasant surprise when, on logging into my account, I first noticed that the "you owe us and it's late" message on the front page was missing, and then after opening my mailbox finding the new message was an updated tax statement to show that, miracle of miracles, the tax owed from last year was now being repaid via PAYE just as I'd requested. Not *quite* believing my eyes, I then checked the other pages of my account and sure enough my PAYE code for this coming tax year has indeed now been adjusted as required to take the owed amount throughout the year... So whilst there are still questions that HMRC really do need to answer over why their systems seem incapable of simply processing our requests without the need for us to kick up a fuss, and in the meantime find ourselves falsely accused of being late payers, let's at least give them some credit where it's due here for, in my case at least, finally sorting things out. Hope they've been able to do the same for everyone else here similarly affected.
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2024 06:34:55 GMT by Stuart Gilmour
Hi Guys I have been fighting with HMRC for over a year now , I've never been self-employed nor had to fill in a self assessment as I've always been PAYE , I got a request to do a self assessment after the date it was meant to be submitted, I have now incurred £2200 of late fees. I have appealed it and failed the appeal, now they have changed my tax code to s810l taking over £4000 back from me. I have never seen anything like this, is it an error on their part or is it a total scam from HMRC . ???
Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 12:31:48 GMT by B98
Hello all! I just got my month 12 pay slip from work. Please tell me, am I actually paying more tax by using tax code to pay off my SA bill? My tax code was changed to 694L, so any of my income above £44,640 will be taxed at 40% while with the standard tax code (1257L), 40% rate won't kick in until income is above £50,270. Thanks!
Posted Mon, 08 Apr 2024 12:57:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi Stuart Gilmour

We will need to access your records to review why the Self Assessment tax returns have been issued. You can contact HMRC at Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.