Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 14 Jan 2024 17:05:14 GMT by
Hi HMRC, My case is similar to moody. And if I have foreign employment during financial year of 22 to 23, I understand I need to complete SA102. But do I need to complete SA106 claim the foreign tax credit relief? I have interest from foreign bank over GBP 2000 and I assume that I still need to complete SA106 about the interest. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 17 Jan 2024 11:29:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi germanchany,
If tax has been paid abroad then yes you need the SA106 to claim the Foreign Tax Credit Relief.
You also show the interest on the foreign section of the tax return. 
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 10:08:33 GMT by
To sum up all fruitful information here, in my case, I have 2500 pounds income from foreign company and no need to claim FTCR, I have to: Fill SA102 - BOX 1 (enter amount) BOX2(enter 0 asi hv no tax take off ) Box 3 (leave blank as I have no p60) Box 4(enter ZZZ as I have no p60/45) Box 5 (enter company name) Fill SA100- page tr7 Box 19 any other information (write down the income in SA102 comes from foreign employer) SA106- as no need FTCR, no need to include in SA106 Please correct me if I were wrong. Thanks very much
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 12:37:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi samwai

You should leave boxes 2 and 3 blank, if you have no UK tax to declare.  Enter "N/A" in box 4 and s you mention, declare this as foreign income in the free hand box.  
There is no need to complete a SA106, as there is no foreign tax to claim tax relief on.

Thank you
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2024 07:57:27 GMT by hmrccarrie
Hello HMRC Admin team, I have read the previous replies, but I am still not sure what to do about my foreign income. I have foreign income from a job £4600 from a Hong Kong company as a part time work from home (in UK). At the same time, I have a job in UK, tax and NI were deducted before I got paid. Should I fill SA100 and SA102? Do I need to provide information of my UK job income?
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2024 14:27:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi hmrccarrie,
SA102 is used to declare your UK employment income and UK tax deducted.
SA102 is also used to declare the foreign income (not tax).
Use "N/A" when declaring the employer reference in box 4.
You would need to complete 2 empolyments on SA102 or online.
If tax was payable on your Hong Kong income, you would declare this in the Foreign section (SA106) and claim a foreign tax credit of up to 100% of the foreign tax paid.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2024 00:41:40 GMT by hmrccarrie
Hello HMRC admin25, thanks for your reply. Follow up my above question, my Hong Kong income is below Hong Kong tax allowance, therefore I do not need to pay tax in Hong Kong. Does it mean I do not need to fill SA106? Should I fill SA102 only to declare my UK employment income and Hong Kong income or I also need to fill SA100? Thank you
Posted Tue, 02 Apr 2024 13:20:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

You need the SA100 as this is the main tax return. As no foreign tax paid, you will declare the income on either the SA102 or SA103.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 05 Apr 2024 05:29:57 GMT by pionmailp
Hi HMRC, I left the UK in late 2023 and started working abroad in Italy. However I don't believe I qualify for split year treatment as I spent more than the maximum number of days in the UK after that date. Does that mean I need to declare my wage income until the end of the UK fiscal year as foreign income in my 23/24 self assessment? Since I was taxed at the source on that income in Italy already, how do I claim double taxation relief? Thanks
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:21:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

Please refer to:

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.